Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machinist chest plans - lost

Machinist chest plans - lost

OK. A while back my dad gave me lots of back issues to several of his woodworking magazines. One of them had plans to a nice little machinist chest that I had plans on building. Had the plans out in the shop and was working on trying to make all the nice cuts with my makeshift tools. Wasn't going to happen then, the right tools do make a difference.
    Anyway, I left the plans in the shop for a trip into the house and the 90lb puppy was at that stage where he HAD to "play" with anything I had touched...thi included this issue of said magazine with the plans in it. Well I managed to salvage the plans and gather all the pages back together. Then I made the fatal mistake of putting them up "in a safe place". So safe in fact that I've never seen them again. Don't it always go that way.
    I wasn't going to build it exactly per the plans dimensions, but I haven't been able to locate any plans of that particular style again. Searched this site and found some that were nice, but, not really close enough to what I wanted for me to know how to work with them.
    The magazine might have been WoodSmith, or one of the Better home and garden WOOD issues.
    Do the members here have any suggestions as to where I might look next?
    I had planned to make one of these chests for my toolbox top at work out of the Bradford Pear wood I have, but that't a might dificult now with the lack of plans to go by.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.
    Last edited by David Epperson; 04-08-2007 at 9:38 PM.

Woodsmith had plans for one - probably twenty years ago. I made it, out of walnut, and modified it slightly for use as a jewelry box.

You might try searching for the back issue on Woodsmith's site - I think it's Augusthome.com.

Didn't think this one was THAT old, but at this point any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Woodsmith #85 has one; that would be 1993. Pic on the cover says "Cabinetmaker's TOOL CHEST," shows a dovetail saw and coping saw mounted in the lid. If you like, I can get you a copy of them and maybe one or two others--have to check my files and see what I can find!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin James
    Woodsmith #85 has one; that would be 1993. Pic on the cover says "Cabinetmaker's TOOL CHEST," shows a dovetail saw and coping saw mounted in the lid. If you like, I can get you a copy of them and maybe one or two others--have to check my files and see what I can find!
    That's a possibility Justin. I looked in the issues I still have from that group and I still have #87 & #88 so My once having #85 is a definite possibility. Is it a locking drawer design (locking rods on either side I think), with a drawer cover panel? Seems like that the one I had was something like that. 5 or 7 drawers above 2 or 3, with an opening top. Might have had a key lock in the top section. I want to say that it seems the article had a mirror in the top inside (wasn't a feature I was going to use, but for the sake of description...).
    Last edited by David Epperson; 04-09-2007 at 10:52 AM.

I don't think the one in Woodsmith was it then; the description is too different. This one has locking drawers but no cover panel or mirror in the top (isn't it funny, the little details we remember and use to describe such things?).

I'll try to look around some more this evening, and see what others I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin James
    I don't think the one in Woodsmith was it then; the description is too different. This one has locking drawers but no cover panel or mirror in the top (isn't it funny, the little details we remember and use to describe such things?).

I'll try to look around some more this evening, and see what others I can find.
    Still that may be the issue I'm looking for as to the main plans. The other details could very likely be from ofther projects and real life examples I've seen.

Check out Woodsmith #168 Craftsman's Tool Chest which can be converted to a jewelry box. The issue was published late last year.

Thanks Maury. I saw that one when looking for back issues. Nice chest, and I might try it, but it wouldn't work well for a top tool box at work without the locking feature. I think the one Justin found might be the one I had, just won't know till I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin James View Post
    Justin. Is there any way you could post a picture of the cover. That might help a lot.

Assuming its not against the rules, I think I can figure out the procedures here. I'll get a scan of the cover and edit/resize tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin James View Post
    Assuming its not against the rules, I think I can figure out the procedures here. I'll get a scan of the cover and edit/resize tomorrow.
    Thanks

By George it worked. Musta done something wrong!

Anyhow, this is the cover of the February 1993 Woodsmith magazine (#85), cropped to limit bandwidth usage.

tool chest.jpg

Hope this helps!

Sure does. Good job! And that is the one I was trying to build.

All I can say is that Creekers are great folks. Thanks guys.