Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning Everyone,

I know.....that sure is an very "general" greeting....but hey, what else could I say....maybe G'day Mate???

This weekend was Easter Weekend so it was spent at church, spending time with the family, and playing bass at church for the Easter services.

I'm still working on the brick-stack for the curved ends of the oval kitchen table. Since I am limited on clamps, I can only glue up 2 piece of a single layer at one time. With 35 pieces for each curved end of the table, it's going to take a while. I've learned in this process about using Plastic Resin Glue and temperatures. I've learned that I can shorten the cure time of the glue with water temps around 100ºF. Now, I'm not recommending that you try that, but I just did that as an experiment.

I spent some time with Joseph (my next to the youngest son) in turning a bowl and he will get the rest of the oil finish on it this week and then we'll post a pic of it.

More stuff for work this week as usual.

So what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Weekend

Yes we did the family thing for Easter so the only time in Garage was to pick it up a little.

I got to work with my oldest son in the shop this weekend, He was home from college (music major at GVSU) and needed a case to hold some of his effects and compressor for his rig. He is a Jazz basist and plays in several church bands. We put together a nice little case to hold the equiptment.

Got a few more sheets of OSB to finish a wall in the shop and will be posting some pics, If it warms up enough to take pictures without shaking from the cold.

Leaking pipe

Sunday morning we found a big puddle on the first floor of the house, some sagging dry wall in the ceiling and a drip. Pulled down 8 sqft of soaked dry wall ( wet wall) and went on a leak hunt....

Leaking copper pipe to a base board radiator, being fixed today.

BTW Easter Sunday emergency plumber rates ( I cannot weld, no tools or skills ) are unreal, I shutdown that heating zone, drilled some holes in the ceiling ( floor ) and lived with a drip.

Weekends Doings

I spent a few hours Saturday and even some Sunday bugging the occupants of my humble dwelling... planing & jointing about 100 bf of red elm I picked up last week. Now have about 85 bf of good true stock that's stickered & stacked to acclimate for a wee bit.
    One good thing about making a lot of noise for a couple hours at a time is that the LOML starts to agree a detached shop is necessary "sooner than later".
    One truly appreciates the benefits of a real DC system (and asks ones self, why did I wait?) after a day working from planer to jointer etc. To plane & flatten about 100 bf and have all of about 30 seconds of clean up at the end of the day is great!

Greg

Saturday was pretty much spent getting the lawn mower, lawn blower and the lawn trimmers ready for the season and then mowing, blowing out the flower beds and trimming the grass. Did manage to rough out a bowl and get it into the DNA.

Sunday......rested, roughed out another bowl and made a full sized drawing for a project I volunteered to turn.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Staying warm. Staying warm. Cleaning up the shop. Did I say staying warm?
    Don

Well it started good. I finished plumbing in a slop sink in the basement and started an outfeed table project on Sat. Sunday morning started out good. I got lucky at Menards, they mismarked the Melamine on sale from $29 a sheet to $12! Needless to say I got 4 sheets at $12 a piece, but I was the only one. They fixed that mistake at the register, but honored me the $12 price.

Did family stuff and in the event I aquired my father's chainsaw. As well I received a chair rail molding bit for my b-day two weeks ago.

On the way home from family stuff I stopped out at a field where they just cut down some trees and ended up sinking in the mud! It took two hours to get the truck out, ruined everything I was wearing and decorated the exterior and interior of the truck in black stuff... Worse part, I didn't even get the wood home!
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

The only woodworking I got done this weekend was wishing the hardwood yards were open so I could get some wood! Aside from Rockler and Woodcraft (read $$$), only Austin Hardwood is open part of the day on Saturday, and I couldn't get there before noon.

Sat morning was spent staying out of the shebeast's way and after thinking about poor Ted cleaning all by his self, I went out and cleaned for a bit.
    I also cut the grooves for the adjustable shelf rails for the storage cabinet, then got corraled into helping clean the house, but got to buy the LOML a nice dinner after that.....something seemed amiss here, but she says I did good and would be honored to let me buy her dinner..

Sunday had the herd over for Easter, and after they left I went to watch the Masters, woke up just after it ended, but it was a nice nap.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

LOL, Al, I did some shop cleaning myself after finally building a DC hood for my SCMS. Then spent Easter morning detailing the wife's car and then stuffing my face at the sister inlaws for dinner. All this cleaning is getting old or maybe I am just getting old...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Great three dayer.
    Did a little toyl shopping
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55748
    Then did some framing and wiring at the new place. Wandered in the woods. A couple naps then started the wiring process all over again.
    Beautiful drive back on Sunday to a great meal with the Sibs.
    Guess I covered all bases with tool shopping, WW, home work and playing in the snow.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Took an extra day off for a nice weekend got the planer stand finished didn't get anything done outside though snow on the ground Sat. morning.

Snow on the ground in central NC in April
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

took my youngest to a dinosaur exhibit, and had a ball!

The LOML and I did our best to get him interested,

He was underwhelmed and had more fun on the air-bouncy slide thingy
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Well...Saturday was a total loss to shop time as the swimming/karate run to the YMCA ran into dropping off more money to the horse camp for the older and then shoe shopping for both...as well as a long time spent in the toy department of Tar-Zhay as the girls hemmed and hawed about what to spend their allowance money on. (The Barbie population has expanded once again...oy!...I hate unwrapping those things...) I finished up the tax returns, too.

Sunday, I did get into the shop, but wasn't motivated to do any cutting...so I spent the afternoon sharpening...everything Neander outside of the scorp and draw knives. If it was a chisel or plane...it got sharpened. And I actually managed to get through all of this without cutting myself! Wow!

sharpening.jpg

And Sunday, of course, was Easter and time for chocolate and jelly beans. The girls had to look around the house to find their baskets and later in the day, we had a nice dinner. Pizza (homemade) and IBC Root Beer.

easter-2.jpg

easter-4.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...