Thread: Need suggestions for saw repair

Need suggestions for saw repair

Well, my bull of a son somehow managed to break the front handle off of my favorite old Skil Professional 8 1/4" circular saw when he was using it yesterday. I came home from work this morning and found it on the workbench in my shop. Can't wait to hear his explaination for how it happened.

I can't count the years and jobs that this saw has seen. I know I could probably go out and buy a new saw that would be better but I would like to keep this old saw functional.

My question is, what type of glue, epoxy or other bonding agent would be best for reattaching the plastic handle? It is the typical hard plastic that you find on most any circular saw.

I was thinking maybe JB Weld, what other options are there?

I would think JB weld will work. I have used it on some stuff on a whim and was amazed that it held so well. I'm sure there are some other two-part epoxies that will work too, but I personally would try JB first, especially if you have it on hand.

When you say Skill professional 8 1/4", I wonder is this the top handle on a Wormdrive?

Hi Paul,

I have a product named "Plastic Welder", which is a two part epoxy syringe type product. I have long since thrown the original packaging away and cannot tell you who made the product. I found it in the glue section of my local mom & pop hardware store. This product is fierce in many ways. Supposed to have a 3200 foot pound holding strenght when fully cured. It has never let me down. It does have a 24 hr fully curing cycle. Might also add that a respirator be worn when using as I think the smell is worse than Deft Brushing Lacquer. Product works for me. Hope this helps.

Mark

i would make sure that the glue is rated for polyethylene. Most epoxies will just slip right off PE. Unless your handle and saw are made from some other plastic.

New Handle

Paul

Perhaps you should try and get in touch with Skil and try and get a new handle. We replaced one last year on a twenty year old saw, now it's like new again. The new handle was a direct factory replacement.

Good luck Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Walls
    Paul

Perhaps you should try and get in touch with Skil and try and get a new handle. We replaced one last year on a twenty year old saw, now it's like new again. The new handle was a direct factory replacement.

Good luck Chris

Thanks Chris, Do you have any contact information, I would at least like to get a price for a replacement.

I'm thinking he just bought himself a saw. No lesson learned like one that hurts.