Thread: Veritas Scraper Plane Insert

Veritas Scraper Plane Insert

Howdy all
    Anyone ever used this product before?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,310&p=32635

It looks interesting, to say the least. I've been trolling Ebay for #12's and #112's and figured I'd go see what the newer ones go for.

So far, I haven't found anyone making a #12 anymore. Is that the case? I've attached a pic of the #12 i'm thinking of.

LieNielsen has a #112, and so does Veritas. But no #12 like the one above. Maybe there's a reason? It sure looks like it'd be handy for leveling off panels, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Dunno how they work but I second the "looks interesting". I've a modern Stanley #4 that's been converted to a scrub plane, so if that system worked well might not be bad to be able to convert it to a scraper plane as well.

Bob

Veritas Scraper Plane Insert

Got one; doesn't work that well for me. I fall back on my #80, LN 212 or a card scraper. The concept is good but I just don't get the performance I expected. I keep migrating to the card scrapers more than anything else.

GSpringer

David Charlesworth has some information on setting up and using this plane insert in his first book (I think). He did get it to work quite well.

Another interesting tidbit...Paul Hamler has the patent on this particular gizmo. Paul is the gentleman that makes those lovely Miller's Patent Plow reproductions as well as a plethora of mind boggling miniature tools...

Cheers,
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I've used the insert from LV that you gave the URL for, and it works fine. I have it in a Stanley No.4, that is dedicated to it. I never liked swapping it in and out, so I picked up a No.4 cheap. If I decide to upgrade, then it will probably be the LN 85, since it looks to be the closet thing to what I am using right now.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=85