Thread: Buffing motor question

Buffing motor question

A friend at work his brother works at a warehouse they have plumbing & HVAC supplies. I asked him the price of a 1/2 hp motor He told me I could get a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm direct drive motor for $66 includes tax. I was wondering how difficult would it be to add a variable speed switch? This is for a buffing motor for turnings.

Chuck

Chuck...........I don't think you can take any ac motor and make a variable speed motor out of it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't think you can either, But why would you want to? that is what beall calls for a 1725 motor of at least 1/2 so you should be fine with that.

Bob

Ken,
    I wasn't sure that's why I asked

Bob,
    That's exactly what I wanted it for a beal system. I figured for smaller things like pens you would use a slower rpm?

Chuck

You really can't slow a single phase induction motor with any kind of "switch". But a used 3-phase motor and a surplus VFD would give you a variable speed buffer. So would the motor you bought plus a separate shaft for the buffs driven by a pulley system, although with only a few settings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chuck....I'm into electronics in a big way but not electrical...though I do do an amount of electro-mechanical. My old memory seems to think it takes a dual winding motor to for a dual single phase speed motor. Just my guess and it's worth everything you paid for it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Chuck you can't slow down a single winding motor. Besides why would you want to do that as the Beall buffing system says to use a 1725 rpm motor.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It's not the speed, it's the pressure that flows finishes. Speed of the motor is even less important than the size and consistency of the buff.

If you're really concerned, get one of those washing machine motors with the 1000 and 1700 winding sets. You can also buy a shaft and use a cone pulley or two. More important, in my way of thinking, is to get a dual-shaft motor with some length to the shafts so that you can mount your mandrels on either end (remember the left-hand threads!) and have a bit more clearance into a piece. Used one for a few years before acquiring "The Big Buffer."