Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got $ to spend, what router and base do you recommend?

Question Got $ to spend, what router and base do you recommend?

Got a nice amount of Xmas money this year and was trying to decide what router to buy. I have about $250 max to spend. I would like to be able to get a router and a stand, but I will settle for just the router for right now. I am leaning towards a Bosch or a Freud. I plan on using it for every application you can imagine.

question #1

1. Do I need a fixed base AND a plunge base? Or should I just get a plunge base?

A little birdie told me....

...that I just might be getting the newest offering from Porter Cable for my birthday. I haven't yet tried the new 890 series myself, but man...from everything I am reading about it, it sounds like a great tool. I've seen a few ads that has the same package, containing both the fixed and plunge base, along with the motor, for around $280. I know you said you had a hard limit of $250, but it might just be worth looking into, IMHO. Good luck!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    Got a nice amount of Xmas money this year and was trying to decide what router to buy. I have about $250 max to spend. I would like to be able to get a router and a stand, but I will settle for just the router for right now. I am leaning towards a Bosch or a Freud. I plan on using it for every application you can imagine.

question #1

1. Do I need a fixed base AND a plunge base? Or should I just get a plunge base?

Hi, Robert,
    The best deal on the best router is the Hitachi @ Amazon...It is $159 with free shipping and an additional $25 off if you get the code from "TOOLSEEKER.com". You won't get even close to that deal! I have the Freud also ...they are very similar. Eventually add a 2hp and the Bosch pair 1617evs with both bases is what I like. I still have one Porter Cable and I have had several 690 series in the past they are not nearly as nice as the Bosch. The Hitachi will work well in a table..it has a fine adjustment ...you don't need a special widget to raise and lower. The Bench Dog tables and fences are great! I know everybody has their favorites. I would jump on the Hitachi NOW while it is on sale!
    Mark

Bosch makes a nice router but at one time they were having trouble with corrosion, you might want to research that to make sure they have corrected the problem.
    As to the kit question, I have a Makita kit and it was nice to have the various capabilities all at once. But since then I have purchased other routers dedicated to certain tasks. It seems like I would have the fixed base on it and set up for dovetails when I wanted to do something else. I would have to switch everything to perform that task and then hope I got the dovetail back just right. I should probably be more organized but am not. So I leave the Makita set up for dovetails, when Lowes was closing out the Dewalt plunge routers I bought one for $99 and it works smoother than the Makita ever did. Finally, I bought a Porter Cable and dedicated it to the router table.
    Anyway, you might want to consider the Porter Cable and Dewalt kits. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick them up and see how they feel. See if the weight feels balanced in your hands. You will see enough different opinions here that it is obviously different for everyone.

I have the Bosch kit and love it. This is one strong but very smooth router! the bases are great, especially the height adjustment and buckle-type motor clamp that apparently is getting copied by other manufacturers.
    I have a review of the kit (lots of photos...) at the link below.
    As for the corrosion deal, I think that was limited to one of the early production runs as I have not heard of it occuring with recently purchased machines.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/bosch1617EVSrtr.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Hi, Robert,
    The best deal on the best router is the Hitachi @ Amazon...It is $159 with free shipping and an additional $25 off if you get the code from "TOOLSEEKER.com". You won't get even close to that deal! I have the Freud also ...they are very similar. Eventually add a 2hp and the Bosch pair 1617evs with both bases is what I like. I still have one Porter Cable and I have had several 690 series in the past they are not nearly as nice as the Bosch. The Hitachi will work well in a table..it has a fine adjustment ...you don't need a special widget to raise and lower. The Bench Dog tables and fences are great! I know everybody has their favorites. I would jump on the Hitachi NOW while it is on sale!
    Mark
    Anyone else use the Hitachi? I looked on amazon and its actually $151 not including the tool seeker coupon. Thats a really good deal. I could use the money saved to get a better router table for it. The hitachi seems like it has everything i wanted: At least 2hp, 1.2 collet, variable speed.

question #1

Robert,

My preference would be to have a large 3hp plus for the table and one or two smaller ones for hand held use.

Obviously they all should be variable speed and the hand held ones should also include soft start.

You will probably eventually need a plunge router although I havent as yet. All my projects have only required routing edges or dados and I havent needed to plunge for stop dados or the like.

I'm currently using a Triton ($320) for my table and the Milwaukee 5616 2.25hp Body Grip for hand held stuff ($180)...and a Craftsman 1.75 set up for my dovetail jig. The Milwaukee and the Triton share the same hole pattern.

I'd eventually like to get a small soft start fixed base for the DT jig (although the plunge Festool would be nice for that) and a 2ish hp plunge for hand use.

So back to your question, with $250 perhaps the best thing to buy now would be one of the 2.25hp combo kits.

Both the Bosch 1617EVSPK and the PC 895PK are $229 on Amazon. You can also get the 894PK which is the same router but the fixed base is designed for better dust collection.

The only problem with combo kits is that you wont own as many routers...we're all striving to have at least 8 routers like Ken Salisbury.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Are most router bases compatible with most routers? Or are they brand specific?

Anyone else use the Hitachi? I looked on amazon and its actually $151 not including the tool seeker coupon. Thats a really good deal. I could use the money saved to get a better router table for it. The hitachi seems like it has everything i wanted: At least 2hp, 1.2 collet, variable speed.
    Robert
    It is actually 3 1/4 HP same as the big Porter Cable and a lot lighter.
    It is one of the smoothest plugers out there. A little silcon spray on the posts is good...because the clearances are tight...thats a good thing
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I saw this on another board:

The M12V is part of this week's Friday sale for $151.99.

The url is MV12

You can also use the Hitachi $25 discount coupon code THHTACBBK337 for a price delivered of $126.99.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

question #1

Dewalt DW 618 Kit or Makita RF 1101 and don't even look back. Get one of the kits for sure.

Gene

Robert,

Adding to Bill's comments about the combo kits, also check out the DeWalt 618PK kit along with the Bosch and the new PC kit. I'd say it would be a tough choice among those three.

On the other hand, if you need somthing strong for your table, that Hitachi really is an unbelievable value at the price.

In an ideal world, I'd want one in each of those categories.

- Ed

Hi Robert,

Are you looking for a router strictly for table use or one for table and hand held use? If strictly for table use, I agree with the others, go with one of the big 3-1/4 hp routers. If it will be for both table and hand held, you will be better off with one of the 2 to 2-1/4 hp routers. I think the big routers are just too big to control properly when using them hand held, that is unless you're a "big ol' boy".

I have the Freud mounted in my table if you would like to come by and take a look at it. I also have a couple of mid size routers you can check out as well. Drop me an email and I'll give you more info, if you are interested.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Callison
    Dewalt DW 618 Kit or Makita RF 1101 and don't even look back. Get one of the kits for sure.

Gene
    I've had the Makita kit for about two and half years. Used in a table (mostly) and for hand use. Plunge mechanism is good and enough power to do big bits. $240 and free ship @ Amazon.

Good luck.
    Marv

question #1

Hitachi M12v is the only way to go,I love mine and at that price you couldn't go wrong

Tom