Thread: How many coats of whipe on poly for household trim?

How many coats of whipe on poly for household trim?

Good late evening

I am in the last 20 days that LOML will allow me to work on the house before she puts her foot down and calls professionals to finish the job. I have finished all of the oak trim that I started 4 years ago and am now putting on a quick coat of Minwax wipe on poly to finish it off. Due to the time constraints, I am very tempted at leaving the floor trim at just one coat. The doors already have two coats and I will do the same for the frames and trim. Anything wrong with that? Should I spend another evening and half a can of poly to add another coat?

Thanks,

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

If it's just an evening, I'd definately put on an additional coat. It takes about three coats of wipe on varnish to equal one of brushed on "full strength" varnish, so with just one coat you are just barely sealing the wood and could find that dirt pentrates in some spots over the long term. Once that happens it's a lot of work to fix, while its pretty easy to prevent now.

I finished a mesquite coffee table with wipe on poly and it took 6 coats to get the look I wanted there. I reallly don't think people notice the wood trim except in a very general way - only you and the wife will. If it were mine and I was in a hurry like you I would probably not do another coat to the floor trim but might do another to the doors because people tend to look a little more and they tend to touch the area more thus more wear.