Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plans or experience building a wood tool chest

Hey Chip,

I like the way you put the pulls in the middle of the lower drawers sure makes for easy opening and functionality.Are those front mount knobs?

Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by George Lohnes View Post
    1) will this end up costing me more money that if I just bought the darn thing

2) does anyone have any plans they could point me towards?
    even if you spend less on a box that you make yourself you'll still end up with a box that is designed by someone else who has different tools and work methods than you.

im designing my shop tool chest next week and i'll start by laying out all my tools on the shop floor to see what im working with. its easy to design something when all the components are in front of you. i encourage you to do the same by at least modifying an existing design to accomadate your tools.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

I think George is long gone from this thread (the original post was in April), but for those reading it, there's an article/plans in the last Popular Woodworking by Roy Underhill for building a traditional joiner's toolchest. It's got some complications, but should be far simpler to build than a Gerstner-style box.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...8e43095496b061

Thanks for the compliment John! Knobs are *mail-order* cheapies that screwed in drawer front. All hardware was ordered from one of the '90s mail-order suppliers...Leichtung? Woodcraft? Rockler carries the same stuff now, basically!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

chest plans

Here`s a link to yet another set of plans from American Furniture and Design CO. for the John B. Hetzel machinist wooden tool chest . Plans are the lowest price you`ll find, with the purchase of the hardware kit.

http://machinistchest.com/site/produ...=56&item_id=39

MC

I am fairly inexperienced but have found that practicing on my own shop cabinets, etc.. is a good way to learn (usually what NOT to do.. but that is for another day).

I was looking at tool chests recently and am shocked by how much good chests cost. I was toying with the idea of making my own (wood) toolchest, but I have two questions:

2) does anyone have any plans they could point me towards?

Thanks,
    George
    1) YES
    2) Go to the store at www.grandslamtools.com and pre-order Tommy's video. Tommy and Eli (and go look at some of the podcasts too) have done a video on constructing a toolchest similar to ones made by students at NBSS.

If you can find a copy of Jim Toplin's book on tool chests, he has lots of good ideas there as well as some nice color photographs of NBSS student toolchests.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Yes .

I spent $120 on just the hardware for mine, and that was eight years ago. I did buy some nice hardware for it though.

Some thoughts on Machinist's style tool chests

If one is looking at building a Machinist's style tool chest I think that this plan is by far the best, IMHO

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../toolchest.php

It's essentially patterned after an #52611 11-drawer Kennedy with a riser. I've been using an 11-drawer Kennedy and riser of these proportions since I began machining over eight years ago. And now that I have started into woodworking I think a chest similar to this (that I build myself in hardwood, of course) would suit me just fine except that I feel the depth needs to be increase to 12" vice 10 1/2". I have found that these type of tool chests would benefit greatly by allowing storage of longer tools and instruments. Many times on the job I have wished I had got the larger Kennedy: 26" W 12" D 18-7/8"H. On the other hand they cost $600! Which is why I didn't get one.

Incidentally...
    It's turns out that most Gerstner Machinists chests are made in china (except the top-of-the-line Gerstners). Gerstner was well known for fine oak (as well as cherry and walnut) tool chests in the machining world for a long time. Nowadays they lack the quality of the early ones. But they're still charging almost top dollar for them. I'd never buy one of these if I could make one !! ... just out of principle.

In short: if you can, and you don't worry about your time, build one rather than buy; because you can do as well or better than any chinese hardwood machinist's chest.
    On the other hand if you don't mind chinese or you have no desire to own your self made tool box, or you don't care what sort of materials it's made out of...just buy one. Building one requires the same cabinetmaking skills you will use in furniture, kitchen cabinets etc. In my opinion, building one of these is about the journey and the destination. A thought: long ago, it used to be that apprentices were judged to some degree on a requisite tool chest they had to build themselves when passing from apprentice to journeyman.
    Last edited by John Townsend; 11-28-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Smile Only . . .

Quote Originally Posted by John Townsend View Post
    If one is looking at building a Machinist's style tool chest I think that this plan is by far the best, IMHO

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../toolchest.php

It's essentially patterned after an #52611 11-drawer Kennedy with a riser. I've been using an 11-drawer Kennedy and riser of these proportions since I began machining over eight years ago. And now that I have started into woodworking I think a chest similar to this (that I build myself in hardwood, of course) would suit me just fine except that I feel the depth needs to be increase to 12" vice 10 1/2". I have found that these type of tool chests would benefit greatly by allowing storage of longer tools and instruments. Many times on the job I have wished I had got the larger Kennedy: 26" W 12" D 18-7/8"H. On the other hand they cost $600! Which is why I didn't get one.

Incidentally...
    It's turns out that most Gerstner Machinists chests are made in china (except the top-of-the-line Gerstners). Gerstner was well known for fine oak (as well as cherry and walnut) tool chests in the machining world for a long time. Nowadays they lack the quality of the early ones. But they're still charging almost top dollar for them. I'd never buy one of these if I could make one !! ... just out of principle.

In short: if you can, and you don't worry about your time, build one rather than buy; because you can do as well or better than any chinese hardwood machinist's chest.
    On the other hand if you don't mind chinese or you have no desire to own your self made tool box, or you don't care what sort of materials it's made out of...just buy one. Building one requires the same cabinetmaking skills you will use in furniture, kitchen cabinets etc. In my opinion, building one of these is about the journey and the destination. A thought: long ago, it used to be that apprentices were judged to some degree on a requisite tool chest they had to build themselves when passing from apprentice to journeyman.
    Only the chest labeled "INTERNATIONAL" are made in China. The rest are still made in Dayton, Ohio . . . The "INTERNATIONAL" chest are clones of the real things, but I agree they are junk. I have been following Gerstner since the 70's & have one of what I consider the better ones.

I spoke with the people at Gerstner about a year ago & they said the "INTERNATIONAL" line was necessary for the company to survive.

Sort of like a PLUMB hammer, they are now made in China. I called PLUMB one day to ask why the hell they did that . . . The gentleman's reply hit kind of hard . . . He asked, "Sir based on the current cost of manufacturing in the United States, liability, etc . . . who can I sell a $35.00 hammer to. Trades people use nail guns . . ."

P.S. The reason I have subscribed to this thread is because I also plan to build a "Gerstner Chest".

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

A project in thewoodwhisperer.com/guild is a wall mounted tool chest. The only problem is you must be a member of the guild to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Toolbox-Crafts...9469049&sr=8-1
    has a used copy of "The Toolbox Book" for under $10 plus their S&H
    The answer is XYZZY

I must admit I haven't read all the posts, but Woodsmith had a very nice tool chest in Vol.26 No.151 Pg 32.

Mike
    Mike Harrison

Some years ago I called Aircraft Spruce. This young idiot answered,and I told him I wanted to buy some spruce. He said "What's spruce?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    Only the chest labeled "INTERNATIONAL" are made in China. The rest are still made in Dayton, Ohio . . . The "INTERNATIONAL" chest are clones of the real things, but I agree they are junk. I have been following Gerstner since the 70's & have one of what I consider the better ones.

I spoke with the people at Gerstner about a year ago & they said the "INTERNATIONAL" line was necessary for the company to survive.

Sort of like a PLUMB hammer, they are now made in China. I called PLUMB one day to ask why the hell they did that . . . The gentleman's reply hit kind of hard . . . He asked, "Sir based on the current cost of manufacturing in the United States, liability, etc . . . who can I sell a $35.00 hammer to. Trades people use nail guns . . ."

P.S. The reason I have subscribed to this thread is because I also plan to build a "Gerstner Chest".

Steve
    Hello Steve,
    I would be happy to share with you my thoughts on a Gerstner style chest. I'd be interested to hear your take on construction. And how you're going to approach your project. I've started (to a small degree) on the design but I have my workbench that I feel I'd better do first. I've attached a jpeg of the bench which was designed in SolidWorks in case anyone is interested. Once I get the design work done for the tool chest, I'll throw a jpeg of it on here as well (*it's gonna be awhile, though!).

Incidentally I contacted L. S. Starrett a couple years ago about why they don't make very many mahogany cases for their tools anymore and the reply was that:
    "Sir, the cost of manufacturing these cases adds considerably to the cost. . . Most machinists just don't want to pay for them anymore. . .They don't even want to pay for US made machinist tools!"
    Kind of sad. All my machinist tools are Starrett and Mitutoyo, but both of these stalwarts are starting to outsource. Very sad...almost a crime. Most of the younger machinists I work with are perfectly happy with Harbor Freight (HF makes me vomit). Very sad, indeed. I've begun to wonder whether it may someday come to pass that the only things left that are truly made here in the US are those which are made by homeshop woodworkers and machinists!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Townsend; 12-25-2009 at 6:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Townsend View Post
    ...... I've begun to wonder whether it may someday come to pass that the only things left that are truly made here in the US are those which are made by homeshop woodworkers and machinists!
    Sadly, we're certainly headed in that direction, already. In a sense, it already has come to pass with many manufactured goods.

However, that can work to our advantage! There will always be a market for high quality manufactured goods. As outsourcing continues to increase, more niche markets are created for the guys and gals who do fine work in home shops and in small shops. I realize that times are really tough right now for such craftsmen. Eventually, the economy will get better and the people who wish and can afford to buy truly fine goods, and who know the difference between a mass produced faux wood dining table, for example, and one built by a caring, skilled craftsman in their town or city will have nowhere else to go to acquire such an item.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone quit their day job to go into business for themselves now. I am suggesting that we remain hopeful, continue doing what we love best to do and continue to improve our skills. In other words, get ready!

Even a guy like myself, with only moderate skills, picks up the occasional job that comes along when a buyer simply can't find what they want from any retail store. My work isn't nearly as "high end" as the work of many others on this forum. But, the pieces that I do build and sell are built with integrity, even if they are rather simple compared to the work of many others. Word gets around if you do good work.

To the OP, I suggest that you build your own tool chest. And, don't even think about the time that you'll have in it. As someone else already said, it's about the journey, too. In fact, this is an opportunity for your journey to better your joinery! Finally, if you know the appx. size chest that you want to build, this is a good opportunity for you to plan and draw your own working drawing, further increasing your design and planning skills.

Best Wishes,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I would love to see this thread start up again,
    I've built two Gerstner style 31 copies and would like see others building wood tool boxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images