Thread: Disposing of Solvents

Disposing of Solvents

Like most wood workers, I throw out Lacquer, Lacquer Thinner, Mineral Spirits and other paints and solvents. How do you all dispose of these materials? I was thinking of a sealed can or something similar that would keep the vapors in and then dumping once a month or so at a local facility that takes this kind of waste.

A second question, I have some lacquer thinned 1X1 in a quart jar in the shop. Wondering how long I can keep and use what I have left?

Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Mike,

Do you have a local place that will take your old solvents? I talked with a large lacquer manufacture about who they use and I was quoted a price of $1200 for a 55 gal. drum. It would take a very long time to get to that amount, but at over $20/gal for disposal is expensive. I don't know the regulations in your area, but I've heard it's expensive to properly dispose of finish in liquid form , but ok to simply spray it (up to so many gallons/ month). Most solvents will evaporate if you have a place outside that is covered. The solid content remains, but it's probably 10-15% of the total vol. with laqquer.

I've got a couple can of latex paint on the garage with the lid off. I added some wood shavings and they get strirred every couple days. I suppose that would be illegal with say old mineral spirits, but if you don't ask I won't tell. Around here they have a yearly day were they take old paints, pesticides, etc. That's probabply the best way to deal with small amounts of various chemicals if you can hold them that long.

I try not to buy more than I need for any given project. I keep solvents on hand, eventually, they get used up.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

As far as latex paint goes, I have heard that adding kitty litter will greatly help dry out the paint.

Guess I am lucky on this one. Where I work disposes of haz-mat fluids and I simply take them there. I have very little to dispose of as most get used in the shop.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Here is some info and thoughts about disposal, or rather recycling of finishing materials.

If you use the following process you will never have to discard mineral spirits or lacquer thinner when they are used to clean brushes and equipment.

For cleaning, use a big 3# coffee can. I pour in some mineral spirits and work the brush in it until is is as clean as you can get it. Then twirl the brush handle between your hands to remove the cleaner. Then pour the cleaner into a smaller 1# coffee can. Now pour some more mineral spirits into the large can, work the brush, twirl it and pour the cleaner into a second small 1# coffee can. Cover both coffee cans. The solids will settle out and the next time just pour off the liquid from the first can you used into the large can for the first rinse, then pour off the liquid from the second can for the second rinse and so on. When the first rinse can gets too full of solids, pour off the remaining liquid into can #2 and add some kitty litter and discard the coffee can with the solids. Can #2 now becomes can #1 and you start a new can #2 with fresh mineral spirits. This way you never have to discard mineral spirits.

I final clean my brushes with water rinsable brush cleaner--which I save also--followed by liquid dishwashing detergent. Use warm water, not hot. Shake them as dry as possible and brush them back and forth on paper towels, then wrap in brown paper, fold it over t0 shape the chisel end of the bristles and hold with a rubber band.

You should never have to throw out mineral spirits and your brushes will be soft as new when you go to use them again.

Old oil based finish can be made safe for disposal in most locales by adding kitty litter to the can and letting all the liquids be absorbed. One the liquids have been absorbed, seal the can and dispose of it in a normal manner. Remember, finishes are non-toxic when dry.

Alcohol is also safe to just spread out in some sand and allow it to evaporate. It evaporates completely leaving no residue at all except for the shellac. But shellac is a natural chemical that is not dangerous or toxic. It's used to coat pills. Alcohol also dissolves readily in water (remember scotch and water?) but I would not throw it down a drain.
    Howie.........

Howard: All of the replies on here have been very helpful. Your reply hits in the heart if the matter for me. I was just trying to dispose of the solvents when I cleaned brushes or my spray gun. I should have stated what I needed more succinctly. Thanks and I can live with doing it this way.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

I've been pouring all my used MS from gun cleaning in a 1 gallon metal can. After it has been sitting a couple weeks, I gently pour the liquid out into a container I labeled "cleaning solvent" which I use for the first couple passes at cleaning the gun. I then use fresh MS to clean one more time which gets dumped into the cleaning solvent jug. I don't have nearly as much solvent that gets thrown away this way. What I do have, I usually dump over the paper/cardboard in the trash can and let it evaporate. If I have stuff to burn, I'll dump it over the burn pile a day or two before burning and let it soak in/evaporate.