Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Benchtop Mortiser

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    To be quite honest, I was ready for one of the enthusiasts to tell us next that it scrambles our morning eggs.
    If it does, don't forget to order your eggshell extractor.
    Gary K.

Ken,

It is a matter of opinion whether it is legitimate to suggest an alternative method of achieving an objective - in this case milling a mortise. If someone asked what brand of old-woman's-tooth router-plane he should buy to cut dadoes, would it be wrong to suggest that it might be more efficient to use an electric router or a dado set? In my view, bench-top mortisers are an inferior way of milling mortices compared to routing them, or using a slot-mortiser or Domino. I may be incorrect in my view, but I do not see why I should be inhibited from expressing it, because some people who don't own a Domino and who have decided not to buy one may be sick of hearing about it. There are plenty of other people who are actively comtemplating buying one, and who are keen to have information from people who have used one. If you don't want to read a post about something, you can easily skip over it and ignore it.

I don't usually look to Chairman Mao for pearls of wisdom, but I think he was right when he said "Let a hundred flowers bloom".

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch View Post
    Terry,
    Perhaps if you & David were to confine your happy stories about the Domino to threads which were actually about the Domino ? The OP was asking for recommendations on a benchtop mortiser, not alternatives to buying one. I am a fan of Festool myself, and own quite a few (though not the Domino), but I really get sick of the Domino being thrust in front of anyone who asks a question about jointing timber.

PS I do think Gary was off base when he suggested David's interest was "commercial", however.
    David,
    I also own a few Festool products, just like Ken. And I agree with Ken that it gets rather tiresome to have the domino thrust in front of us every time we talk of joinery. The original poster did not ask for opinions on the best way to join wood....he asked a particular question regarding the benchtop mortiser. Everybody was focused on the question and giving answers to his question.
    If someone starts a post and asks about different ways of joinery, then I can expect the domino to be included, and if I didn't want to read it I could skip over it.
    I have absolutey nothing against the domino. I think it is an innovative tool. I have done alot of reading about it including part of your article in Woodcraft magazine. By the way... nice chair.
    Gary K.