Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Saw Stop demo on Ask This Old House

What happens if the blade(s) is a stacked dado? Can you even use one with a stacked dado? If not then one needs another table saw anyway. The way that brake works and the way a stacked dado is put together, it seems like there might be dado shards flying around when it slams down. I think that precludes using a dado (or other attachments) in one, doesn't it?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dominguez View Post
    I got a Sawstop recently. I'm an old f... and have some tremor in my hands, so when I went to do the dime test, I had to use a square to help get the dime to stand up on the table with the saw not running.
    When I turned the saw on, the dime didn't even quiver. That's smooth. The saw's mounted on the mobile base that Sawstop sells as an accessory.
    If you go look at one, ask them to take the insert off of the table (you have to remove a screw) and look down at the works. Lots of cast iron. Put your fingers under the cast iron table tops. Lots of iron. Get down and look inside the motor door and the belt door. You get what you pay for.
    Great post Jules. That's information dealing with the quality that has been left out of this thread. Compared to my old Craftsman saw that I gave away when I bought my SS, the iron in this saw is amazing. I guess a lot of us old f...s are getting them. I guess, depending on the posters here and elsewhere, we've either gotten wise with age or more senile by choosing to buy one.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Putnam View Post
    What happens if the blade(s) is a stacked dado? Can you even use one with a stacked dado? If not then one needs another table saw anyway. The way that brake works and the way a stacked dado is put together, it seems like there might be dado shards flying around when it slams down. I think that precludes using a dado (or other attachments) in one, doesn't it?
    The SS is designed to work with an 8" stacked dado. It requires swapping of the regular brake cartridge with one designed for dado use.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Putnam View Post
    Dennis, there is a brake cartridge and zero clearance insert available for dado sets. It's wider than the standard brake cartridge. No, I haven't seen a demonstration using it.

BTW -- To answer some comments about cost if the system is tripped by an accident, according to the owner's manual if the brake cartridge is sent to SS so that they can download data stored in it, SS will replace the cartridge free. That's one freebee I'd rather not collect on.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Dennis, there is a brake cartridge and zero clearance insert available for dado sets. It's wider than the standard brake cartridge. No, I haven't seen a demonstration using it.
    Interesting. How big of a pain is it to set up for varying widths? It seems like setup times would get out of hand, especially for one cut. Also I'd still be concerned with flying debris when that brake closes on a dado since it is not solid and there is lots of room for the chippers to break as the outer blades are bent by the brake. Unless the dado set is special for that saw.

Dennis, like I said, I haven't seen a video of a dado set being tested. With that said, I have seen a post where someone did save a thumb in and accident with a dado set installed in his SS. He even posted a picture of his thumb and the dadao set he was using at the time. As I recall, he was using a GRR-Ripper and hit an internal knot in the plywood he was dadoing and the GRR-Ripper tilted forward sending his thumb into the blade.

As with any tool, user safety proceedures will protect the user much better than a brake on the blade.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps