Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop demo on Ask This Old House

Your right on the price

The price of the Sawstop with 3 hp and 52" rails and ext table are much less than what is being reported. I just bought one in CO which has a high tax rate for approx. 3800 with tax. The actual saw itself is 2700. Yes more than the rest but I think you are getting more as well. I love it.

We've got the saw stop in use in our shop at the school where I teach. It's a great tablesaw not unlike the others we have been using all those other years. Our shop had two unisaws in it and we kept one and got rid of the other. I know in my experience that the students do feel a sense of security when they know the technology is there to help save their fingers in case of a lapse of judgement. I still teach in the same way that I always have though and remind them that the saw they may have at home or on a jobsite will likely not have the sawstop technology. My students still respect the saws and haven't even tried to set it off just for fun. I work to keep their attitudes above the waterline.

Oh, by the way only 29 more days to teach then into retirement and full time woodworking I go.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

congrats Jim

Congrats and enjoy your freedom!!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager View Post
    We've got the saw stop in use in our shop at the school where I teach.
    Jim do the kids bring in hot dogs and test the system
    That was the reason a friend of mine refused to have them in his school.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager View Post
    Oh, by the way only 29 more days to teach then into retirement and full time woodworking I go.
    What???? I'm totally jealous. Congratulations!!!!!!!

I have the rest of this school year and all of next year before I retire.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 04-17-2007 at 3:44 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Jim do the kids bring in hot dogs and test the system
    That was the reason a friend of mine refused to have them in his school.
    Hasn't been a problem at all. We always work to teach different ideas than that for what I call "tool attitude" The kids are pretty serious business when it comes to power tools.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I just discovered this saw. I'm considering holding off on the Ridgid and waiting a month or two and getting one of these. I'd rather have all my fingers minus the $3000. After viewing the videos on their website, it looks like you're not just paying for the safety features. It looks like a solid, quality saw WITH the safety features. Does anyone own one of these in their personal shop? I like it.

Steve there are a few guys here that own one. I know the owner of the Woodcraft stores in St. Louis and Evansville pretty well, so I called him and asked if they had a saw in the store. They did so I went and looked it over saturday. One thing this saw doesn't get credit for is how much heavier and better built it is compared to other saws.
    There are too many features for me to go into here, but I'll just sum it up by saying I was very impressed with this machine. It's is worth the money just for the saw, never mind the safety features. Now obviously that is just my opinion so take that for what it's worth. If you get a chance you really should take a look at it.

The cabinet SS is available at the Woodcraft in Canton MI for $2800 and they have one ready to take home today.

I'll be glad to sell my G1023 and get the contractor SS when it comes out. As another WW'er in my area said, think of it like a $600 saw with a $600 safety option. I'd pay $600 to count to 10 for the rest of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McDowell View Post
    Steve there are a few guys here that own one. I know the owner of the Woodcraft stores in St. Louis and Evansville pretty well, so I called him and asked if they had a saw in the store. They did so I went and looked it over saturday. One thing this saw doesn't get credit for is how much heavier and better built it is compared to other saws.
    There are too many features for me to go into here, but I'll just sum it up by saying I was very impressed with this machine. It's is worth the money just for the saw, never mind the safety features. Now obviously that is just my opinion so take that for what it's worth. If you get a chance you really should take a look at it.
    I beg to differ with you, Chris. I have read a few reviews that indeed, say that the SS is a heavy, well built machine and did, indeed, give it a big " thunbs up".
    Gary K.

How much does that thing cost ????

Is it really worth that much money ?????

Well I think it is worth every penny of it...... and then some

Now this was not from a saw, I just wish they and a MowStop.

P4179894.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 04-18-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Is it really worth that much money ?????

Well I think it is worth every penny of it...... and then some

Now this was not from a saw, I just wish they and a MowStop.

P4179894.jpg
    Gee, sorry about your accident. That would be my typing finger.
    Like one poster said...." I'd rather have my finger...than have the money in the bank"
    Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McDowell View Post
    One thing this saw doesn't get credit for is how much heavier and better built it is compared to other saws.
    Heavier ?

Sawstop 530lbs (saw only)
    PM2000 600lbs (saw only)

Better built ?

I have read this quite a bit, but nobody actually specifies exactly what is better.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks like a very nice saw, but all this "heavier & better built" stuff is a generalisation, which I suspect is based on looks alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jensen View Post
    I just discovered this saw. I'm considering holding off on the Ridgid and waiting a month or two and getting one of these. I'd rather have all my fingers minus the $3000. After viewing the videos on their website, it looks like you're not just paying for the safety features. It looks like a solid, quality saw WITH the safety features. Does anyone own one of these in their personal shop? I like it.
    Yes Steve, I have one in my "personal shop" (garage). I bought it last week. See the following thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55934

There are others here on Sawmill Creek who have one in their shop as well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

15. writer had nothing of any value to add
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-18-2007 at 8:25 AM. Reason: Personal attack