Thread: Help; installing Unifence on Craftsman saw

Help; installing Unifence on Craftsman saw

I got the great deal on the U30 Unifence, opened the pkg and looked over the pcs. and the instructions. The question I have is that to install the front rail it states to line up the "zero" with the right edge of the saw table, but this seems to be off about 1"-2" to the right of where it should be. I haven't begun to install this yet. Does anyone have any experience with this on an older Craftsman contractor saw? How did you approach installing/alligning the front rail?

Blog Entries
    I would assume the directions are for a Delta saw. I wouldn't drill any holes till a Creeker that's done it on a C-man chimes in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, thanks for responding. The directions state "for delta saw"; for other saws; etc, as necessary. The rail is mounted so that it can be slid left-right as needed (slides on bolt heads in channel on back of rail) so no problem there. Just wanted to here from other who mounted this fence system to there Craftsman contractor saw. I'll figure it out if no one else responds.
    I think my biggest issue is that the fence has a glide which slides on the table top, and my saw has open cast wings which will not allow the glide to slide over. I believe I will have to remove the right side wing and install a suitably-sized extension table and also fasten the rail to this table to utilze the new fence system.
    I was expecting someone else has had to do this and could be of help. I'm pretty new here and am gleaning lots of information (great site), and try to help where I can. Hopefully someone will still see my post and respond.

Adapt

Rick,
    You referred to your pierced extension wings. The same would apply to those with stamped steel wings with ridges.
    I presume somewhere on the wings' periphery (likely front and back edges) there is a constant height for a glide to bear on while shuffling the fence right-n-left. Move your glide to that location.
    For an earlier saw I had, the rear of the fence travelled on a glide made from a 2x3" laminate sample (coupon), epoxied to the bottom of the fence. You might be able to relocate the glide on your present fence, or buy a spare glide and mount it in a more advantageous spot.
    Tuning tip: level the wings and table so there's no step as the fence travels.

Unifence

Rick- You should have no problem mounting the Unifence on your Craftsman. It mounts in a similar fashion as the stock fence (aluminum extrusion which can be slide left and right as desired). You will need to replace the stock "egg crate" iron or steel stamped wings with something solid.

See this thread for details regarding various Unifence mounting details.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...light=unifence

Joe- I got your PM
    Frederick- thanks for the links, I don't know how I missed that thread.

I am starting to build and install an attached table. I decided to use a 4' pc. of angle steel on the rear of the saw so as not to need leg supports(hopefully). I have the saw on a mobile base. The table will attach to the right side of the saw top, the rear angle iron, and the front rail. I'll try to post pics later.

Thanks for all your help.

I got everything together the other day and am trying to upload pics here now. I purchased a 4' long pc. of angle steel and mounted it to the back of the saw. I then built a table frame to attach to the right side of the saw, the rear rail, and the front rail. I then cut a pc. of MDF that I had for an insert and all seems to be great. Hopefully the pics will post. I had to slide the front rail about an inch or so to the left of where the directions state to allign the measuring tape correctly with the cut. No biggie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Completed. I forgot to mention in the previous post that I first had to remove the right side wing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That looks great. I'm glad it worked out and your efforts were rewarded. I think you're gonna like that fence.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with Glenn on both accounts...great installation and great fence. My personal favorite of the US-designed fence systems.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rick-Very clean installation, it looks good. For what it's worth, you probably don't need the angle iron in the back. The Unifence doesn't require it, and your shop made extension table looks more than rigid enough. My Unisaw's factory extension table is similar in size and construction to yours and no rear support is used. It certainly can't hurt, but if you ever need to install an out feed table flush to your extension table, the angle iron might get in the way. Enjoy your Unifence.

Since he's not using legs to support the extension, at least in the pictures, the rear angle iron is still a good idea as it builds rigidity...and it leaves a shelf to mount things like an outfeed table if it becomes necessary to do so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The extension table is about 30" wide by 27" deep, I wanted the extra support as I don't want to use legs, although it may not have been necessary. Unfortunately the angle steel is level with the miter slots so it will be a little harder to use as a shelf support, but I'll work on that later. I originally was going to try to sell the saw and get a Grizzly 1023SL, but with recent (and necessary) purchases of the DeWalt 535 planer and Grizz 0586 jointer, the new table saw will wait. (I guess the gloat is official as you can see both in the earlier pics!)

Thumbs up unifence on craftsman...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I got everything together the other day and am trying to upload pics here now. I purchased a 4' long pc. of angle steel and mounted it to the back of the saw. I then built a table frame to attach to the right side of the saw, the rear rail, and the front rail. I then cut a pc. of MDF that I had for an insert and all seems to be great. Hopefully the pics will post. I had to slide the front rail about an inch or so to the left of where the directions state to allign the measuring tape correctly with the cut. No biggie.
    Rick, I not positive about the tape measure on the unifence,but it is probably just glued down like others are. I ran into this problem with my Delta-T2 when I installed it. I looked at it really close and decided it would be no sweat to remove it and I was right...just stuck down on the tube. I gently pulled it up off the tube...set the fence to exactly 3"
    from the blade, slipped the tape to that point and stuck it back down
    pressing it to the tube and checked my hairline cursor for final tweaking
    and it was right on the money! Try this ...it should work...Jim Heffner