Thread: Query on Timber Measuring us/uk

Query on Timber Measuring us/uk

Hi Folks,

Over here in the UK, we buy timber by the cubic foot.
    I.e., a board 12 feet long by 1 foot wide by 1 inch thick, is obviously one cubic foot in volume.

If I cut a twelve inch piece off the end, I would have a piece of lumber 12" x 12" x 1" thick. (Obvious again...)

Is this what you would call a 'board-foot'?
    If the board was 2" thick would that be calculated at 2 board-feet?
    It seems I would have to state the desired width and thickness of a board, if I ordered a 'board-foot' of 2" thick oak for instance.

It's bothering me, as I sometimes use American Plans, and timber quantities are stated in board-feet. It would help me if there was an easy way of visualizing a 'board-foot'. Then I could convert to cubic feet, without having to total up the 'cutting list'!

Thanks for bearing with a 'Limey'!

John (UK)

[quote=John A Walker;570261]Hi Folks,

Over here in the UK, we buy timber by the cubic foot.
    I.e., a board 12 feet long by 1 foot wide by 1 inch thick, is obviously one cubic foot in volume.

If I cut a twelve inch piece off the end, I would have a piece of lumber 12" x 12" x 1" thick. (Obvious again...)

Is this what you would call a 'board-foot'?
    Hi John; The simple answer is: Yes
    If the board was 2" thick would that be calculated at 2 board-feet?
    Again: Yes.
    It seems I would have to state the desired width and thickness of a board, if I ordered a 'board-foot' of 2" thick oak for instance.
    John, I'm in Canada. I don't usually order by the board foot. In your case above I would order 8/4 (2" rough) lumber stating how many feet and the width I required. The board foot measure would be calculated, and the cost would be determined by the number of board foot. If I were ordering in bulk with nospecial purpose, I might ask a sawyer for 100 bd. ft. of 8/4 lumber. They'll determine how much wood that is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

In the U.S. we buy it by the cubic foot as well, but we call it a board foot. It's really the same measurement.

Hardwood is sold in specific thicknesses, and by random width. Often you can specify the minimum width and length you will accept, and sometimes you pay a premium for that.

The grade of the wood also affects what you get. If I remember correctly, FAS (firsts and seconds) wood has to be 6 inches wide at a minimum. I'm sure if I have that wrong, someone will correct me.

Hunh? I thought that even Britain had converted to metric, so you'd be buying wood by the cubic meter.

A cubic foot isn't the same as a board foot. One cubic foot would be equal to 12 board foot. Not 1 board foot. A board foot is a piece that is 12"x1"x1". A cubic foot is 12"x12"x12".

Also, hardwood is sold by the board foot, by specific thickness, (2/4, 4/4, etc.) by the linear foot, or sometimes by the specific piece. The last two are usually at most retail box stores and other home improvement lumber yards and it's usually S4S and 3/4" thick. The first two is how a, "Real" hardwood supplier sells it. At least this is how it's done in my neck of the woods. I think if I went to Lowes, HD, OSH, or the local building supply chains and asked for some hardwood in 4/4 or by board feet they would give me a blank stare. There are two places that specialize in hardwood and quality plywood and they both sell either by board foot or 2/4, 4/4, etc.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
    In the U.S. we buy it by the cubic foot as well, but we call it a board foot. It's really the same measurement.

Hardwood is sold in specific thicknesses, and by random width. Often you can specify the minimum width and length you will accept, and sometimes you pay a premium for that.

I'm sure if I have that wrong, someone will correct me.

The simple conversion is 1 cu ft = 12 board foot.

Vijay

For the US, the equation for board feet is (assuming everything is measured in inches)

BF = (L x W X T)/144

Where:
    L = length of the board
    W = width of the board
    T = thickness of the board

The thickness is the nominal thickness. So if the board is listed as 6/4, they will calculate it as an inch and a half, even though you may get a thinner board. Also, most places round up for the length and width to the nearest inch. So if you have a number of boards and lay them side by side and measure the total width, it will probably be less than what you're charged because most places measure each board and round each board up (this assumes you're buying a small amount of lumber where each board can be measured).

Some boards are not the same width along the length of the board and you need to make sure the person measuring is not always using the widest part of the board. I always argue that I'll have to trim the board to the narrowest part and we compromise on some middle ground.

The equation for cubic feet would be the same except the divisor would be 1728 (which is 12 x 12 x 12).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    A cubic foot isn't the same as a board foot. One cubic foot would be equal to 12 board foot. Not 1 board foot. A board foot is a piece that is 12"x1"x1". A cubic foot is 12"x12"x12".
    You're absolutely right. My bad.

And I'm right. Someone did correct me.