Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a very bright "white" wood

Looking for a very bright "white" wood

I am getting ready build 2 matching desks and the LOML really wants to ebonize it. While I don't necessary like that idea, she usually wins.

I am most likely going to use Red Oak even though it is ordinary. I hope my design will redeem me.

I would really like to hear some of your suggestions.

I would like to find a wood that I can put a clear finish on and have it be very stark white in color( as much as possible).

I am planning to make the tops and maybe some accent pieces with the "white" pieces.

Thanks
    Justin

Justin.....holly....maybe
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Holly is the whitest wood I've ever seen, but getting clear lumber can be difficult and expensive.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Another vote for holly. I also think it can be pricey depending on the size and quality.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

like everyone said - holly. but i have seen some german maple that is quite clear and quite white.

maybe check guitar/tone wood suppliers.

jerry
    jerry

If you are going through the process of ebonizing wood, then why not go through the process of bleaching wood?

Well, that was quick and unanimous, wasn't it!

Thanks Guys

I am off to look at some Holly projects for a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    If you are going through the process of ebonizing wood, then why not go through the process of bleaching wood?
    I second that suggestion. Get some straight grained maple and bleach it.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Bleached maple

I built a hall table with a walnut top with a dark wipe-on stain. I wanted the legs and stretchers to be a stark contrast so I used maple that I bleached. The bleach is a two part solution - a little klutsy to handle but the results were just what I wanted.

-- Phil

I actually did a trial today using the two part bleach system on some soft maple. I'm trying to lighten the heart wood a bit so it will contrast with a padauk top. My test pieces were brightened quite a bit.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

11. what about ashe??

Hey justin:

What about ash.............gains give a nice texture when ebonixed also.

Neil

12. Not to hijack, but what IS the process to bleach?? I've never done it... Just used holly - haha.

Bleach wood??????

Oxalic Acid

Just hearing the word "acid" sounds ominous. But oxalic acid is easy to use and the safest for the home. In fact it is found in many vegetables including spinach, and rhubarb.
    Perhaps its best known use is that as a wood bleaching agent.
    Exterior wood tends to turn a dark gray after being exposed and Oxalic acid solutions are used to lighten and brighten dingy gray wood.
    In the refinishing of wood furniture, oxalic acid can be used after stripping to lighten and soft darker stained areas befor refinishing.
    a few other uses for oxalic acid are:
    • <LI type=disc>Precipitating agent in Rare-earth mineral processing; <LI type=disc>Bleaching agent in the textile activities, wood pulp bleaching; <LI type=disc>Rust remover for Metal treatment; <LI type=disc>Used in commercial rust removers to remove rust stains from tubs and sinks. <LI type=disc>Grinding agent, such as marble polishing <LI type=disc>Waste water tratment, removing calcium in water. <LI type=disc>Use in cleaning and sterilizing homebrewing equipment. <LI type=disc>Useful as a reducing agent for photography and ink removal <LI type=disc>Used as purifying agent in pharmaceutical industry <LI type=disc>Rrock collectors,clean mineral specimens
    • Remove food and rust stains from kitchen countertops, plumbing fixtures and fabric
    Where Can I get Some?
    Warning: Oxalic Acid is still and acid and should be treated with respect, do not be lulled into complacency.
    In its purified form, oxalic acid is a highly corrosive and toxic substance.
    Latex gloves should be worn at all times when using it and it should always be mixed and used in a well-ventilated area.
    The gasses given off are dangerous and have been suspected by some in causing health problems.
    Always protect your skin,wear a dust mask when mixing ANY powder, eye protection is a must and whenever I am fooling around with chemicals I always have a supply of fresh water available for flushing off spills. If swallowed, give plenty of milk or water, preferably water. Do not induce vomiting. Contact a poison control hotline. If inhaled take a break and get some fresh air. If the nausea or headache persists, contact the poison control hotline. Used Oxalic Acid should be considered hazardous waste and should be disposed of properly.

- Plagerized from the Internet -

There are three types of bleach that can be used on wood, and they have different purposes. I took the following from an article that condensed what Bob Flexner stated about bleaching wood:

"Flexner states "There are three types of bleach used in woodworking...Two-Part bleach (sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide) removes the natural color from the wood. Chlorine bleach removes the dye from the wood....And Oxalic acid removes rust and water stains from wood.""

I haven't tried using oxalic acid as I never thought I had a situation that called for it. I just played around a bit with putting household bleach on wood and found it had no effect on the oak I used. I built a bookcase for a client and when I tested stain on birch plywood and birch solids I used for the face frame I found I had two completely different looks. I used the two part bleach to lighten the carcase and finally got a passable match. Nothing I want to do again.

I clean my boat hull with oxalic acid. It is awesome at removing rust. POSITIVELY do not use it indoors without a proper chemical respirator and goggles.