Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas price up higher than ever

Gas price up higher than ever

I'm curious to see if gas in other areas has gone up as high as here. Our 2 local stations here on the plateau $3.19/$3.21, down in Bellevue the cheapest I saw was $3.16. Glad I'm working at home now.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,

Here in Sioux Falls I filled up last week @ $2.69, this week $2.73. But this is ethanol. Plain ol gas is about $.03 higher, premium around $2.86. Diesel weighs in @ $2.99

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

We were at 2.79 yesterday. That means its probably 2.83 today. For a few days, everytime I drove past a certain intersection, the gas had gone up 3-5 cents. That was 2 to 4 times per day! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Not to worry.

Soon enough the on-again-off-again hue and cry for alternative energy cars will be on - - - again.

A few months later the Saudis will do something that will lower the price.
    They may be greedy but they are not stupid.

Here is where we get our oil:
    WHERE WE GET OIL (2005)
    18% from Canada
    12% Saudi Arabia.
    15% West Africa in general (Nigeria, Gabon, Angola, etc.)
    15% Mexico
    12% Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates.
    10%Venezuela
    5% Iraq
    3% Algeria
    3% Columbia
    3% Equador
    2% Kuwait
    2% United Kingdom
    1% Norway
    1% Equatorial Guinea
    source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/reserves.html
    http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mcrimus1a.htm
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro.../crudeoil.html
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/n...t/pdf/appb.pdf
    ftp://ftp.consrv.ca.gov/pub/oil/annu.../0102stats.pdf

You guys should consider yourselves lucky. In Australia we pay the equivalent of US$3.78; and in Europe the price is around double that. Perhaps you need to tax gas more to fund a decent health-care system.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Not to worry. A few months later the Saudis will do something that will lower the price. They may be greedy but they are not stupid.
    As long as gas is the cheapest fuel, alternatives will remain an asterisk in the statistics.

We won't be here to see this... but - the REAL crunch will come when oil and natural gas are no longer available to heat our grandkid's homes.

80% of all residences don't have nearly the surface area for enough solar cells/heating panels to run the fridge and TV, let alone baseboard heaters.

NIMBY or not, nuclear is coming to a neighborhood near you.

In 30-40 years, the problem of spent nuclear fuel will be dwarfed by the problems encountered when 1000-2000 tons of rotting batteries need to be disposed of - per year, per state.

Gas can go to $10.00/gallon.... THESE will STILL be remembered as the good ol' days.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    As long as gas is the cheapest fuel, alternatives will remain an asterisk in the statistics.

We won't be here to see this... but - the REAL crunch will come when oil and natural gas are no longer available to heat our grandkid's homes.

80% of all residences don't have nearly the surface area for enough solar cells/heating panels to run the fridge and TV, let alone baseboard heaters.

NIMBY or not, nuclear is coming to a neighborhood near you.

In 30-40 years, the problem of spent nuclear fuel will be dwarfed by the problems encountered when 1000-2000 tons of rotting batteries need to be disposed of - per year, per state.

Gas can go to $10.00/gallon.... THESE will STILL be remembered as the good ol' days.
    Here in the Pacific Northwest there's nowhere near enough sun to even think about any kind of solar energy. I wonder what happened to the idea of using the ocean waves and currents to generate electricity.

Wow, now I feel old, I remember 25 cents a gallon when I first started driving. I could fill up for $5, when money was tight we'd get a dollar's worth and run several days...

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

What about wind energy??? There are wind farms popping up all over the country - in Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico. These wind farms can provide mega amounts of energy. Here in New Mexico, good old Public Service Company can provide your home specifically with electricity generated from a wind farm---for a premium per kWh. The wind is free, dammit - why do they charge a premium for the energy produced from a free source????

Gas: last street price I saw was $2.91 at the corner station; I paid $2.76 on Wednesday at Sam's Club.

AND DON'T TRY TO TELL ME THAT THE OIL COMPANIES ARE NOT IN COHOOTS ABOUT THE RISE AND FALL OF GAS PRICES.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

My gas is $2.84 today for regular. How else can the oil companies keep making record profits while we send our sons and daughters to fight for their oil supplies.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Nancy,

Here's why.....your profit margin is greater when you charge more for something you got for free. This only applies if you got the wind turbines for free.

I dabble in the wind business, but only water pumping windmills so far.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

wind is not a solution...

It takes an area the size of South dakota to power a city the size of New York city. Conservation is the key.

Much like hybrid cars, wind may look and feel green but its not a solution. Hybrids produce more waste to produce than a normal car due to the batteries...so the end result is you move pollution form one compartment to another. Of course it doesnt matter because you "feel better" and "look better" than those around you and thats what the hybrid car movement is about.(like buying carbon credits)

Nuclear is the way to go until science can come up with a better solution. ( something unknown???)

Several months ago, either Scientific American, or Discover Magazine, had articles on nuclear and coal electric generation.

The problem with spent nuclear fuel rods is solvable. The rods can be processed back into usable fuel and other byproducts are essentially harmless. The problem is that everyone is afraid to build a plant to do the reprocessing. In addition, and there seems to be a 'not invented here' attitude among other scientists. Therefore we will continue to put the spent rods in a hole in the ground. Pretty stupid thinking.

The coal fired electric generation plant problem of pollution can be solved by coal gasification. It is a two stage process that will allow the generation of electricity at each stage. The final output from plant is harmless. Problem is that such a plant will cost about 10 to 15 percent more to build.

Conservation? Why bother, Canada has an estimated 300 year supply of oil locked up in their oil sands.

Anyone care to guess what person had a $30,000 utility bill for a year?
    Best Regards, Ken

I live in East Tennessee. Oil wells are being sunk like crazy around me. I can stand on my front porch and count 5 that have been drilled in the last year alone. I've been approached about putting a couple on my land.

Oil and NG drilling is going on like crazy here in Arkysaw. But that's not making my fuel prices go down any.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Oil and NG drilling is going on like crazy here in Arkysaw. But that's not making my fuel prices go down any.
    When I left St. Francis, Arkansas 38 years ago I filled up for 28 cents.