Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gas price up higher than ever

I know I get irritated about gas prices fairly often.....but I wonder why people don't get upset over paying $9 per gallon for bottled water when it's little more than free out of the tap??
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I've wondered that a lot, also a 12 oz. cappuccino at Starbucks costs close to $10 a gallon.

After thinking about it, most people are not going to drink more than 2-3 coffee drinks or bottled waters a day, and it's their choise to drink something that expensive rather than tap water or home drip. With gas, you have very few alternatives, and you must have it to go to work, buy food and so on, especially in areas like ours without decent public transportation. The other thing is, bottled water and coffee drinks (and all other products) are going to cost more when the gas prices go up, since things have to be delivered to the stores. Some places (pizza) are already charging for delivery that used to be free. One of my suppliers used to deliver free but now only for orders over $100, otherwise they charge $25.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,

You are correct sir and a nice observation indeed sir. I was just making a statement at what we spend many times without even thinking about it until it comes to gas/fuel prices.

How 'bout them Hawgs!!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

This comment will stir the pot: I believe we should RAISE the price of gas to $3.50 at a minimum and take that mark-up and use it to discover alternative sources of energy and conservation initiatives. It will serve at least two beneficial purposes . . . 1] reduce consumption, and 2] help us out of our reckless and contra-national security mindset of continuuing to fund the middle east's efforts to demonstrate their dislike of anything West.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    This comment will stir the pot: I believe we should RAISE the price of gas to $3.50 at a minimum and take that mark-up and use it to discover alternative sources of energy and conservation initiatives. It will serve at least two beneficial purposes . . . 1] reduce consumption, and 2] help us out of our reckless and contra-national security mindset of continuuing to fund the middle east's efforts to demonstrate their dislike of anything West.
    That's a good point, but I'm not sure that $3.50 would provide the motivation.

There's just too much cost involved in the alternatives, including the negative environmental effects of the alternatives as mentioned before by Mitchel and Rob (batteries).

I have to laugh, because of my sister in law in CA (SF Bay Area).

Apparently in that area the hybrid cars are flying off the lots like hotcakes.
    Gas there is running $3.75, but that's not why she spent $33,000 for a Prius, but because everone else is buying them. She admitted that with the price of the car vs gas at that price she may never come out even, but apparently it's become a status symbol. It won't even carry her dogs, she has a Pathfinder for that, and uses the Bay Area Rapid Transit to go to work.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    That's a good point, but I'm not sure that $3.50 would provide the motivation. There's just too much cost involved in the alternatives, including the negative environmental effects of the alternatives as mentioned before by Mitchel and Rob (batteries).
    Out with such defeatism! Then raise it to $4.00 a gallon! Rather than challenging our nation to some inane goals like going to Mars (can you believe HE said that!), I suggest we challenge our brighter minds and youth to strive to discover something outside of the box . . . a solution that is also not unfriendly to the environment.

I'd pay 5.00 a gallon if it meant unfettering ourselves from middle east oil.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 04-21-2007 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Edited post to correct statements.

Just filled up today for $2.619 per gallon.

I was in western Minnie Soda the past week, unleaded was $2.749 and E85 was $2.249....hmmm.........wonder if I can convert my Super Duty to burn ethonal???
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

All,

Let's keep this thread out of politics and out of pointing our fingers at people. Let's keep the discussion clean, on topic, and educational.

While I'm sure we can't save the planet nor convert all our vehicles to run on "thin air"....we can at least have a nice adult conversation.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    Out with such defeatism! Then raise it to $4.00 a gallon! Rather than challenging our nation to some inane goals like going to Mars (can you believe HE said that!), I suggest we challenge our brighter minds and youth to strive to discover something outside of the box . . . a solution that is also not unfriendly to the environment.
    Short sighted... research to go to Mars will no doubt improve our battery technology. In addition if they stay planet side for a while they will have to generate energy there....IE alternative methods. The space program is directly responsible for lots of the things you use today including the computer you are happily tapping away at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    If the abiotic theory is correct, then oil deposits would/could be found even on planets that had no organic life. - say Mars?
    WRONG..it could have life in the past.

Re:ethanol
    Ethanol is not a solution...its cost more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than if you just burned the gas thats used to produce it. Gas to harvest it, transport it to market, heat it to start the process of making ethonal.
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 04-22-2007 at 1:37 PM.

If everybody rode a Harley, this problem wouldn't exist

I get 50mpg, use 9/10ths of a gallon of gas a day round trip to work, and it's alot more relaxing than my truck. Also alot more fun, and 0 to 60 in about 4.5s

Bonus: Instead of listening to the depressing news constantly bombarding me on the radio, I just listen to the pipes

Admittedly, I can't ditch the truck completely, but it makes me smile seeing it sitting in the driveway 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois View Post
    Re:ethanol
    Ethanol is not a solution...its cost more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than if you just burned the gas thats used to produce it. Gas to harvest it, transport it to market, heat it to start the process of making ethonal.
    Probably true in the big scope of things....(although its mainly diesel to harvest and transport in these parts of MN) and the waste product is sold for relatively big $$ for fertilizer for future crops.....

In the small scope of my wallet, anything that is legal that saves me $10-$12 per weekly fill-up is defintely something I will explore. Although I'd gladly accept a check from you in that amount to keep me from depleting the world energy sources quicker
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton View Post
    Although I'd gladly accept a check from you in that amount to keep me from depleting the world energy sources quicker
    Now why didn't I think of that little money making venture?!
    Nice one Barry!!!!
    Dennis -

It sounds like most of the country is still below $3, yesterday I was in Bellevue so shopped around and the best I could do for name brand regular was $3.19.

Just now on the radio I heard an ad for the local Toyota dealer, pushing their hybrid Prius, they have over 100 in stock so I guess even at over $3 it's not enough motivation to buy them.

Sammamish, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Just now on the radio I heard an ad for the local Toyota dealer, pushing their hybrid Prius, they have over 100 in stock so I guess even at over $3 it's not enough motivation to buy them.
    Shame that folks are not snapping them up...they are great cars and with the incentives, not really much more expensive, if at all, than many vehicles of similar size. They are actually quite large and comfortable inside...even more so than our older 2002 Prius.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For us, it's much more economical to pay at the pump than it is to buy a new Prius, pay the higher auto insurance premium, and pay the higher maintenace/repairs costs. It honestly boils down to what people can afford to pay each month for transportation expenses.

And...when you don't have a car payment? Why would I want to start having a car payment again?
    Dennis -