Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gas price up higher than ever

Food for thought . . .

On the fuel front, a Stanford University study was just released, indicating that ethanol E85 could cause the number of respiratory-related hospitalizations and deaths to increase substantially. The study also found that while E85 vehicles reduce atmospheric levels of two carcinogens, benzene and butadiene, two others increase—formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Thus, E85 significantly increases ozone, and thereby, smog. Researcher Mark Jacobson said, “[W]e found that using E85 will cause at least as much health damage as gasoline...”

Here is the link if you're interested in the entire article
    news-service.stanford.edu/news/2007/april18/ethanol-041807.ht

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

This is some very interesting and disturbing reading, I can not verify it to be factual but it is interesting.

http://www.befreetech.com/energysuppression.htm

Also I have no affialition with this web site I just thought it was interesting.

William Cooper authored a book, Behold a Pale Horse, published in 1991. It is a little outdated, and he is a controversial author to say the least. As a conspiracy theorist he does write some interesting material. His thoughts on the possibilty of ever being able to choose alternative forms of energy are along the lines of those in the link you posted. Apparently there are folks out there who believe that good alternatives to oil exist, but are suppressed. . . they just can't seem to find the proof.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    For us, it's much more economical to pay at the pump than it is to buy a new Prius, pay the higher auto insurance premium, and pay the higher maintenace/repairs costs. It honestly boils down to what people can afford to pay each month for transportation expenses.

And...when you don't have a car payment? Why would I want to start having a car payment again?
    No disagreement...no car payment is great and more than makes up for the cost of fuel if the vehicle is not causing maintenance costs and in good running order. But for folks already considering buying or needing to buy a new, fuel efficient vehicle in that size range, they really owe themselves a look. I paid through the nose for my hybrid Highlander ('cause it was new and un-discounted at the time) but I'm certainly feeling good about the fuel economy I get and will get for many years to come. And the near zero emissions is a good feature, too. Professor Dr. SWMBO's Prius has also served us well and has been paid off for years. The current pricing on Prius is quite attractive for those who look.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No disagreement...no car payment is great and more than makes up for the cost of fuel if the vehicle is not causing maintenance costs and in good running order. But for folks already considering buying or needing to buy a new, fuel efficient vehicle in that size range, they really owe themselves a look. I paid through the nose for my hybrid Highlander ('cause it was new and un-discounted at the time) but I'm certainly feeling good about the fuel economy I get and will get for many years to come. And the near zero emissions is a good feature, too. Professor Dr. SWMBO's Prius has also served us well and has been paid off for years. The current pricing on Prius is quite attractive for those who look.
    I agree with ya Jim. I one is already considering a newer vehicle, then I too, would be seriously shopping for a more fuel/energy effecient vehicle. But I agree with others here as well.....we really need something to transportation that will aid in getting us further away from fossil fuels.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Update - my local station is now $3.63 for regular. The lowest I could find in nearby cities was $3.36.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Update - my local station is now $3.63 for regular. The lowest I could find in nearby cities was $3.36.
    $2.83 here in Arkysaw Joe....It's not as high as it's going to get.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

paid $2.63 here yesterday

We had a newspaper headline predicting $4.00+ by mid summer here. Hopefully the change from winter oxigenated to normal gas will help with the mileage.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Just filled up for $2.909 out by I-95.

Bella Terra

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart View Post
    Hey Cliff, That adds up to 102%. And USA isn't even on the list? Don't we produce ANY of our own oil?
    I am not the evil genius who extrapolated the numbers. I merely cuttetedd and pastedeted 'em.

I saw figures the other day that said about 40% of the oil use here is domestic.

There are a lot of reasons and excuses for the rising prices........Note - I defending the prices just making a statement....There are some real reasons and some limp excuses.........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My big question that I haven't heard explained, is why I have to pay more than 25% more per gallon than Belinda does. It's not a shipping issue, ours comes from local refineries just up I5.

Sammamish, WA

Joe....Now this answer would be an excuse .....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    My big question that I haven't heard explained, is why I have to pay more than 25% more per gallon than Belinda does. It's not a shipping issue, ours comes from local refineries just up I5.
    Use tax to help lower the useage is one thought that pops into my head. California uses environmental taxes on gas to try to help curb pollution. I doubt it works unless you talk of doubling the cost then maybe you may get someones attention.

In addition transportation DOES come into play. Generally gas is shipped in pipelines from the refineries to a central distrubution hub. This hub then fills tanker trucks which deliver it to your local station. The plants do not have loading capabilities for gas. So if you think about it..the most expensive transportation costs occur nearest the plant.

My dad worked in a refinery and explained to me this. In addition, I worked there and NEVER saw a single tanker truck being loaded with gas at a refinery...BUT theres plenty of pipelines leading out. The use of pipelines is desired by the refineries because sometimes production is "spotty" so instead more land for tank storage they ship it out. No back up of tankers, no one waiting since the distribution center has tank storage. Also if you look...refinery division of a company is separate from distribution....
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?