Thread: Nova lathe owners, can you please show me a pic of your balast stands?

Nova lathe owners, can you please show me a pic of your balast stands?

I have a Nova 1624 on order and would like ideas on how to hang a couple hundred pounds of sand from the legs. Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Chris

I am assuming you are planning to use the factory stand, right? What many owners of done is add braces (front to back and side to side) and use those to hang the weight from.

Since I bought my DVR-XP without stand, I built my own. The legs are 2@2x4's in an "L", the top is 1" MEDEX and the base is a box filled with sand; and the top of the box is where the heavy bits, like rests and such go.

Lastly, do you know about the Nova owners group(s). There is a (very) small Yahoo group (some people can't access MSN groups) and the large MSN group
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BERNAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BERNAR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]Chris here is a picture of mine. I bolted it to 4 2 X 12's cause it wasn't quite high enough for me at 6 ft. I would have had to bend over somewhat and at 60 my back doesn't like that. But here is what I did. I also added the middle shelf which I bolted to the legs. It sure did stiffen it up. There is 360 lbs of sand on the bottom (I just happen to have some). It don't move. I put my shoulder against it and it will not budge. Here is a couple of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Or look here for my, and others, solutions
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=lathe+stand
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Thank for all the information gentleman! I should have been more descript in my questioning.
    I am looking to add a ballast to the existing stand that comes with the Nova 1624-44....

Chris I just got the Nova 1624 last week. I haven't turned anything bigger than a few pens and a little 4" bowl, but have been thinking about what to do if I need to add ballast in the future. I don't want to drill into the legs, so was thinking of piece of strap iron between the front and back legs that a sand box could hang from. I thought a 'C' shape on each end would basically lock it in place due to the compound angles of the A-Frame shape. I'll get a guy at work to help me with that and report back any progress.

I also saw in the article from FWW they have a wooden piece doing pretty much the same function I was thinking of. Take a look at the Nova lathe in the background of the picture on the title page.

Here's a link to the article where the PM 3520B got 'best overall' and the Nova 1624-44 got 'best value'

http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...April%2007.pdf
    Last edited by Marc Martindale; 04-20-2007 at 8:58 PM.
    -Marc

I'd make a couple of cleats to support a half-shelf about a broom's reach off the floor. Only instead of just using a board, I'd make my "shelf" a box about 4" deep or so. I don't think I'd like Bernie's arrangement, because I like to step right on up to the lathe ways when I hollow ornaments, so that's why the shelf would not be full width, but extend from center toward the far side of the lathe.

Since the best counter to out-of-balance spinning is weight both behind and low, ought to do the most for the least. Hoping you have the good sense to balance up your blanks as best you can before turning for your own safety rather than challenge the lathe, as some people seem to.