Thread: Jointer and Planer Selection

Jointer and Planer Selection

I'm a new amatuer woodworker setting up shop. I am in the market for both a jointer and a planer. After reading the posts at the Creek and other places my thinking is along these lines:

Jointer - It would seem that an 8" rather than a 6" is the way to go. I also like the longer beds. That being said, I'm leaning towards the Yorkcraft 8"; it fits my budget and I live about an hours drive from York, PA so I can save on the freight.

Planer - On this I'm up in the air between the Yorkcraft 15" Planer and the Makita 2012 lunchbox. The Makita gets great reviews at Amazon. I've got a daughter in college(go VT Hokies!!!) and a son in high school who is applying to college, so cash is not plentiful. What I'm wondering is how much planer I need to buy to get my boards planed. Here are some of my questions:

How does the Makita do with rough cut lumber?
    What is the comparison in finish between a stationary planer and a lunchbox?
    What must be done to secure a lunchbox planer while using it so that it doesn't vibrate all over the place?
    If I get a lunchbox planer will it wear out in a few years and I'll wish I got a Yorkie?
    What is a safe way to get a 600 lbs planer off the back of a pickup truck and into my garage, without the use of a forklift or several weightlifters?

Craig, I just recently moved up to the York 12" jointer and I have to say its a very good machine, cuts like a dream and the tables were perfect, nothing was more that .001 off. My jointer is 980lbs and I made a base for it and it was heavy to move but I used a pallet jack to get it into my shop then used a J bar to off load from the pallet jack to the mobil base.

I have not used Yorks planners and I am sure there are a few creekers who will give advice on their planners. I have the Makita 2012 and the old Makita 15" 2040 that I have had for 14 years. I use the 15" daily and I will break out the lunchbox with real small stock. If you get the luchbox don't forget to order the DC hood for it. I have to clamp down the 2012 since it will move a bit from vibration but not real bad if taking small cuts.

If I ever need a new planer it will be a 20" floor model. Luchboxes are great for small stock or onsite use...
    Last edited by Ted Miller; 04-20-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Craig,

If space is not an issue, go for the full size planer. It is a heavier, more rugged machine and you'll most likely be happier with it.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Blog Entries
    I think you're right to go straight to at least an 8" jointer. I have the DW734 planer that has three knives and is 12 1/2" for a bit less than the Makita. It's served me well and no complaints. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied Makita owners out there as well.

As far as finish, stationary planers use metal feed rollers that can leave a surface in need of more finishing that a lunch box might. I was after a surface that would require minimal sanding or other after-work so I went lunch box. They're kind of different flavors of the same animal.

I've seen a few folks that mount their lunch box on top of their floor planer. The stationary beast does the hard work and the lunch box finishes off the surface. Or maybe it just saves floor space that way(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

to the back of the line buster

I do hope you didn't think you would drive over tomarrow. The last I checked the Yorkcraft jointer (except the 6") and the planer are on backorder "at least three months..."

Gizz is in stock, but you loose the mobil base and I can't remember geographically the location of Muncy, so you might loose the shipping too.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thiel View Post
    I do hope you didn't think you would drive over tomarrow. The last I checked the Yorkcraft jointer (except the 6") and the planer are on backorder "at least three months..."

Gizz is in stock, but you loose the mobil base and I can't remember geographically the location of Muncy, so you might loose the shipping too.

Jim
    Muncy is about another two hours from York, maybe a little less.

The 8" jointer is a good decision.

For the planer, you could go either way, but honestly, if you are cash strapped, the 12-13" so-called "lunch-box" planers do a very nice job of thicknessing unless you're going to be running material day-in, day-out. Most of us started out that way, even if we have moved up to heftier machines later.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...