Thread: Door Router Bit

Door Router Bit

Attached is a piture of some cabinets that I made. I did them with a tounge and groove and a chamfer bit. I'm looking for a bit that does it all in one cut so I don't have to chisel the corners out.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry that was a bad picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That kind of door (particularly if it has a plywood panel) are generally made with a cope-and-stick router bit set. There's no hand work involved. For instance http://www.eagleamerica.com/product....0_A_cn_E_55995 Your design looks very much like the one Eagle calls a 15 degree Shaker bevel.

I suggest a glued-in plywood panel with cope-and-stick joinery because I've never quite trusted the cope-and-stick joint by itself. The plywood panel becomes a giant gusset reinforcing the cope-and-stick joints, and the resulting door is very sturdy.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 04-21-2007 at 11:23 AM.

I have one of the eagle bits that I did shaker style doors for my kitchen with. Not sure what the angle on the ones you built already is but it looks pretty close.

Second on the plywood. Not so much from the strength side but mostly as it is way faster than making raised panels and turning them backwards.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks for the resonses guys....The other doors I did were a 45 degree angle.

Does anybody know a manufacturer that does a cope and stick bit that is 45 degrees?

I have that profile and it's the one I use the most outside of a plan flat cope and stick cut on a table saw. Mine came from Eagle and is listed as a 15º bevel/Shaker style.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ryan,
    Check with Sommerfeld. You might have to call them to find out. I know they have a 22.5* Shaker set, and they may also have 45* as well, but just not listed on their website.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/item....03005&d=78&b=1