Thread: Advice needed--Porch columns and frost heave

1. Advice needed--Porch columns and frost heave

I'm hoping someone here knows more about this than I do (wouldn't take much!).

Without getting into all the details, I'd like to finish off the bottoms of these columns with limestone. The core of the columns are treated 4x4's than sit on concrete frost footings (4' deep). I'm worried that if I put stone between the "baseboard" of the column facade and the limestone that's just sitting on the ground, (in effect trapping it between the bottom of the column and ground) that frost heave could push the entire column up and wreak some serious havoc with my porch. The front edge of the slab is also tied into the same footers as the columns, but I don't want to columns to be tied to the slab in any way just to be safe. So what are my options? I really want to finish these off with stone, but I can't think of how to do it without making a "cieling" (the underside of the stone) for the earth to push against.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about how they do stone on some houses and commercial buildings? A stone veneer?

If the stone is in contact with the concrete you shouldn't have any heaving issues.