Thread: Trend Airshield users: Durability issues?

Question Trend Airshield users: Durability issues?

OK folks,
    I've gotten an idea that the Trend Airshield is the preferred product so far. But I've gotten feedback on several forums that question it's durability. Several users have complained that the seal wears out, the plastic knobs crack, the face shield develops fissure cracks (without having an impact), and that the slightest of falls will crack the light plastic housing.

The consensus I hear is that these people actually LIKE the Trend Airshield. But they feel that for the price it should be designed much better.

As an mechanical engineer (and a machine designer at that), I take an instant dislike to an under-designed product. I understand that economics must come into play. But not at the expense of practical durability! Especially for a product that is rather expensive.

Add into this mix the fact that I'm not one of the world's most graceful of people (one of the reasons I have rubber mats all over my shop is to cushion a tool's fall!). I'd rather not pay $300 for something that looks like it came out of a supermarket gumball machine and will break when the inevitable happens. Cause it's not a matter of IF I drop it, just WHEN.

However, this is all conjecture on my part. I'd like to hear from those of you who have used the Trend Airshield for several years.

Bottom line it for me.
    • How is it holding up?
    • Do you feel that the design is deficient in any way?
    Dominic Greco

No problems with mine, although I don't use it a lot...I've not been turning in some time due to other projects taking precedence. Some folks have reported concern with battery life. Mine has not exhibited them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dominic I have had mine now for about a year and have had no problems. I know this doesn't give you much. I have had no problems with the batteries either. I have a set of two one on each side and have turned for almost 6 hrs at a time with no let down. I have had mine drop once with no problems but my shop has those Sears matts for standing thru my whole shop.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dominic....I've had mine nearly a year and I've had no problem with mine. I have two batteries in mine and they will last a complete day when I'm using it.

One of the things I like about it...even in the summer heat enough air blows through it that my glasses don't get steamed up. Wearing just a plain face shield that was a problem...not so wityh my trend.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dominic...
    I've used mine for over a year now...usually for things other than turning. I've been doing a bathroom redo and used it when I did the tear out and lately when I've been sanding all the sheetrock mud. I'm not real careful and it takes a beating. I'd say...don't worry too much about it holding up...and the design works fine for me.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Have to concur with what's already been said. I've had mine almost two years and while it hasn't had a lot of use that's only because I haven't been doing a lot of WW'ing.

I don't have a lathe, but I use mine whenever I'm cutting wood to help keep the dust out of my lungs. It seems to work very good at that and as Ken said it is nice having that fan blowing cool air over your face, especially when you wear glasses.

I made my own battery pack using info I gathered from the "Creek". Not because I had issues with the original batteries, but because I lost the charger.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

OK, so I'll be the outlier here. My Trend has popped apart (not broken) at the upper face shield post several times and it is really very hard to get it back together. When you go look at these ask the clerk to demonstrate replacement of the clear polycarbonate face shield. You will see the part in question. Also, if you do an advanced search of my posts you will see where i have brought this up on SMC. The Trend is not a bad product and I use mine frequently but, for big bucks it's not as well made a product as I would expect.

Coming up on two years with no issues. Use it weekly, I have a friend that is coming up on three (and uses it daily). While he has had to replace the batteries, seal and renew the filters and stick-on face shield protector (several times).

I do like mine, if money was no issue, I would have gone with the 3M. But we have to do a cost/benefits check. I never have any dust in my nose, after sanding for hours. It has stopped a orbiting bowl, so it is doing the job.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I have been watching this post on this forum and others and have been reading the replys with much interest. I got a Triton 2 weeks ago. I have to say it is better than I ever would have thought. I just don't think the Trend is form fitting enough.