Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Nubies!

Calling all Nubies!

I am certain that no one else ever did this so I'll just tell a tail on myself. A little over a year ago I started turning after 40 + years of being (AWOL) "Absent With Out Lathe". Come to think of it I'm AWOL now! Ouch! Anyway, not being a woodworker type and being ignorant of all the things most of the guys here take for granted. I thought the best way to get a fine finish was to rely on out of the can type stuff. Now I know, that those things have their place but for me this buffing stuff was just something that I thought I could live without. Then I began to see some of the works displayed here and slowly began to realize that there must be something I was missing. A couple of the Vets here sent me a, so kind but straight forward chastising comment about finishes. I wanted to know what the heck they were getting at but I had no frame of reference to fully understand what they were saying. Well, to make a long story short, I got my Buffers hooked up over the weekend and thought I'd toy around just a bit with them on an unfinished bowl. The bowl has just a coat or two of Danish Oil and that is all. Wow! Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! What a beautiful luster. I have a growing anticipation of what is going to happen when "Beauty" gets here and not just my lathe has gone to the next level. Color me EXCITED!! an thanks for all your patience. I know I don't hail from Missouri but sometimes a 2 X 4 and a ten penny nail through the end applied smack between the eyes is just what I need to get the point. So, if you're new and as ignorant as I was, take heed. Don't waste a year trying to figure out how to get a great finish. Good Cutting followed by good sanding and a nice oil finish with a good buffing and you may find yourselves miles ahead of where I was.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Thank you Christopher. When I see the pics posted on here, I think you guys were born turners.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Been turning for almost 2 1/2 years now but until 6 months ago I rubbed everything out by hand. Picked the buffing equipment when I got the new lathe this past Nov and what a MAJOR difference buffing makes. Now when I get finished with a project - the form may still be in question but the finish sure looks good!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McQuay View Post
    Thank you Christopher. When I see the pics posted on here, I think you guys were born turners.
    I'm in the same boat as you!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McQuay View Post
    Any day I wake us is a good day!
    Had to chuckle...In my business we say, 'Any day above ground is a good one!' And 'we're the last folks that will ever let you down!'

Christopher, your post got me to thinking...

Looking back from a perspective of hindsight, the two biggest judgment errors I made as a new turner were:

1) I don't need a Beall buff, I'll save money and just buff with a T-shirt.
    2) I don't need a Wolverine. I can do just as good of a job sharpening by hand.

HA!!! Wrong on both counts!

Hmmm... I'm still in denial about a hollowing rig. Wonder if it will be #3?
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 04-23-2007 at 4:04 PM.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

I agree 100%. I got a buffing setup about 3 or 4 months ago and the difference is night and day. I used to be ashamed of my finish and now I am proud.
    Mike Vickery

You got something against Missourians?

Thanks for the heads up Christopher, as I am new to turning and that is EXACTLY the kind of advice I want and need. I don't frequent SMC to throw 2 worthless cents down any time I can, I come here for advice, and if I happen to have some, I'll gladly give it away. For free, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    The bowl has just a coat or two of Danish Oil and that is all. Wow! Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! What a beautiful luster.
    Hey Chris, if you think that DO plus Beall is awesome, try Seal-a-Cell on top of the DO then buff the Seal-a-Cell. Looks like a piece of glass. Not speaking from any vast amount of experience; I've only SAC'd six pieces. (I'll post 'em if I ever get around to setting up my photo tent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Zerjay View Post
    You got something against Missourians?
    No! just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt View Post
    Hey Chris, if you think that DO plus Beall is awesome, try Seal-a-Cell on top of the DO then buff the Seal-a-Cell. Looks like a piece of glass. Not speaking from any vast amount of experience; I've only SAC'd six pieces. (I'll post 'em if I ever get around to setting up my photo tent.)
    Thanks mark, I'll try that. I appreciate the help. One question, is it yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    One question, is it yellow?
    Only if the piece is yellowheart. (And yes that's one of the six I SAC'd.)

I discovered the Beal system awhile back and use it regularly. One thing I've learned is if you have a porous grained, dark wood (Walnut) skip the white diamond. BTW Chris I think the term "show-me" was coined directly for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy View Post
    Christopher, your post got me to thinking...

Looking back from a perspective of hindsight, the two biggest judgment errors I made as a new turner were:

1) I don't need a Beall buff, I'll save money and just buff with a T-shirt.
    2) I don't need a Wolverine. I can do just as good of a job sharpening by hand.

HA!!! Wrong on both counts!

Hmmm... I'm still in denial about a hollowing rig. Wonder if it will be #3?
    No doubt neal I just got mine.