Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infinity blades in DW735

I have the Infinity knives in my 735. It still leaves the lines. They seem to be getting dull as fast as the original knives. I am not overly impressed with them.
    Paul

Infinity blades in DW735

Has any one tried the Global Tooling blades for the 735?

If they are as good as their other blades they should work very good.

Have a Blessed day.
    George

Hi Richard,

I had the opportunity to look-up your order in our system this morning. The DeWalt knives you purchased from us in 2006 are a vastly different product to what we have been producing for the last several years. When you said the fit was tight I knew right away you must have gotten one of the few early sets we made with slightly undersized pin holes.

Our current DeWalt DW735 replacement steel knives are thicker than the stock knives and produced with a higher quality steel. They fit perfectly in the DeWalt head and our testing has shown a significant improvement in life over stock knives. The feedback we have rec'd from users over the last several years has been excellent. The knives are a hair taller than stock and this is so you can get one good honing from either side without the knives being too narrow.

We stand behind our product 100% and it is my top priority that you are satisfied with your purchase. As always, if you or any other member of the forum are in any way not completely satisfied with your dealings with my company I will do everything possible to make it right. I am sending you a replacement set from our current inventory which you should find to be a significant improvement over the OEM knives. Please drop me a line to confirm your current ship-to address.

Best regards,

David Venditto
    Infinity Tools
    813-881-9090 x201
    info@infinitytools.com
    Last edited by David Venditto; 09-21-2010 at 10:24 AM.

4. I recently purchased the infinity carbide knives for the DW735 and ran into an installation problem: the infinity knifes are a bit thicker than the stock Dewalt knifes. Because of this, the screws dig into the wood being planed, badly marring the surface.

Has anybody run into this problem? Infinity suggests I just file down the screws (with a belt sander). They also say the screws are sticking out only 0.01" (they come out much more than that). I do not like this solution (do not have belt sander, concerned that the ground screws could strip and oxidize). Does anyone know where I can get screws that work?

I also should add that the carbide knifes fit very tight. It is possible to get them in place, but not possible to adjust laterally if one knife ever gets a dent. So perhaps I got old knifes? (I purchased January 2011).

Bernhard

5. Inifinity planer knifes and customer service

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard Boser View Post
    I recently purchased the infinity carbide knives for the DW735 ...
    After much arguing with Infinity they eventually agreed to send a new set of knifes, explaining that "There is a small chance the set you have is not within our specification." The new knifes were obviously different: e.g. marked with the company name and packaged in a hard shell (the first ones had no name and were packaged in a plastic wrapper).

The good part is that the second set of knifes fit the planer and do not require grinding the screws or whatever other modifications Infinity was suggesting to make their bad set work. On pine and hard maple the produce an excellent finish. I hope they hold up and will leave additional feedback in a few month.

A final comment about Infinity's website: customers can leave feedback, and I did this. My feedback was deleted, all you can find are two 5-star reviews. If they delete feedback, do they also write it themselves?

I am coming away with very mixed feelings. The second set of knifes looks good and if they hold up are preferable over stock knifes. Infinity's customer service and attitude, on the other hand, make me want to run. Not only did they obviously send pre-production (or whatever) knifes, they only admitted to this once I posted the above message on this site. For the planer knifes their seems to be no alternative, but I certainly will not buy their saw blades.

Hope this is useful. If you order knifes and they don't work in your planer, insist that they send you new ones.

Bernhard

Free New Blades :)

I too have a DW735, bought it roughly 2 years ago. I just called DW customer service (1-800-433-9258), and told them the situation regarding poor blade quality. The rep said that they changed to a better blade quality roughly a year and a half ago. I asked for them to send me a new set, free of charge, and the rep, no questions asked, said that they will. Good service, and let's hope these are better blades... If I'm not happy with these, I'm going with infinity carbide next time...

ps: I read the above posts - very helpful - thanks everyone!

I have a friend who also had the tight installation problem and the screw heads digging in with the thicker Infinity blades on his DW735. I don't know if he ever got the problem resolved before he sold the DeWalt and got a larger Delta planer.

After reading about all the problems with the DeWalt 735 planers, I am going to buy the Delta again. I have the first generation Delta and it has worked very well for me. I would like to have a 3HP planer but I just do not have the room for it in the shop. The 735 was my first choice but not any more. I have read more complaints regarding the 735 blade life then I can remember here and on other forums. It also seems like no one can get a correct answer from DeWalt concerning the redesign of there blades. With the economy the way it is, I do not see DeWalt changing there blade design to satisfy customers who bought one of there specialized tools. With the home building industry the way it is, they are not selling many tools.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 08-06-2011 at 2:02 PM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I have both the Infinity HSS and Carbide knives for my DW 735. Last January I began the construction of a Benchcrafted Roubo from Eastern Maple. A substantial milling job for the 735, so I purchased the Infinity knives and started with the HSS models, thinking I would have the carbide knives as back-up. The Roubo bench is done in addition to several other Eastern Maple projects. Infinity HSS knives are planing Cherry today. When this first set of HSS knives is dull I am quite anxious to try the Infinity carbide knives. I am very please with the HSS knives. Currently I'd estimate they have lasted 4 times longer than DW stock knives.

I will qualify this by saying I take light cut and slow feed rates.

IMHO, Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke View Post
    After reading about all the problems with the DeWalt 735 planers, I am going to buy the Delta again. I have the first generation Delta and it has worked very well for me. I would like to have a 3HP planer but I just do not have the room for it in the shop. The 735 was my first choice but not any more. I have read more complaints regarding the 735 blade life then I can remember here and on other forums. It also seems like no one can get a correct answer from DeWalt concerning the redesign of there blades. With the economy the way it is, I do not see DeWalt changing there blade design to satisfy customers who bought one of there specialized tools. With the home building industry the way it is, they are not selling many tools.
    I had trouble with my first set of blades in the 735. I called Dewalt and they sent me a new set free. That set has lasted quite well - no complaints.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard Boser View Post
    I recently purchased the infinity carbide knives for the DW735 and ran into an installation problem: the infinity knifes are a bit thicker than the stock Dewalt knifes. Because of this, the screws dig into the wood being planed, badly marring the surface.
    We sell a carbide tipped knife set for DW735 and this question comes in often. The carbide tipped knives are thicker than the steel ones because you need enough steel to braise the carbide to. Because they are thicker, you don't need that support bar that goes over the original steel knives. You'll find that if you pull that bar out you'll have no more issues.