Thread: Wood dyes

Wood dyes

Ok I have a question concerning the differences in wood dyes. I know that Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing offers his TransTint and Transfast dyes and there are other dye manufacturers like Star/Liberon. Are there really any major differences in use of the wood dyes in terms of their colorfastness(a real word?) and use?
    In my mind a dye is a dye, but I over simplify sometimes :-)
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

there really any major differences in use of the wood dyes in terms of their colorfastness(a real word?) and use?

Colorfastnitude? I like yours better.

There are definitely differences in lightfastness (maybe that's the right word) between brands, types, and even different colors. TransFast is called that because it is a more lightfast than TransTint. I believe dyes are becoming overall more lightfast, but still they will fade.

In Jeff's line, TransTint is water based, and TransFast can be used in water or alcohol. Alcohol base is better for spraying then water because it is less likely to run, but is a pain to apply by hand because you have to work very quickly. Same reason in both cases is that the alcohol evaporates so quickly.

Sprayed, unwiped dye has a very different appearance from hand applied, or sprayed and wiped, dye. Be forewarned that spraying dye makes an unholy mess.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Not trying to hijack this thread, well maybe I am! But, I am going to be using a dye for the 1st time this weekend on a birch ply/poplar bookcase I am building for my son and was wondering if you might have a few words of wisdom for me before I do this? I wiil be using the water soluable med. redish brown TransFast dye. I haven't mixed it up yet but will be soon.

Thanks,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Not trying to hijack this thread, well maybe I am! But, I am going to be using a dye for the 1st time this weekend on a birch ply/poplar bookcase I am building for my son and was wondering if you might have a few words of wisdom for me before I do this? I wiil be using the water soluable med. redish brown TransFast dye. I haven't mixed it up yet but will be soon.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

Be sure to raise the grain of the wood and resand before you apply the dye. The water in the dye will raise the grain if you don't do this.

Good luck,
    Bob

Doggone it. Had a big response typed up, and somehow managed to nuke it.

a) Finish scraps first! Most important finishing advice there is.
    b) Bob's point is very well taken. Be sure to sand LIGHTLY after raising the grain, if you hit fresh wood you've undone the object.
    c) Use dye liberally. If you apply too little, it can splotch terribly. Using too much is almost impossible, unless you soak the plywood so much as to delaminate it.
    d) Just an expectations caution: When the dye dries, it looks just terrible. When the topcoat is applied, it will look almost exactly like it did when wet.

Dave