Thread: Powermatic Model 100 Planner

Powermatic Model 100 Planner

Hello,

I have a question, a friend of mine was looking at a Powermatic model 100 planner to purchase. This fellow in our area has one for sale and is asking $1300.00 for it. He asked me to take a look at it this weekend which is fine with me but my question is; what is the value of it??????

I've been around machinery all my life but I have never come acrosss this model. I was thinking one of you may give me a bit of info in it.

Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Hello,

I have a question, a friend of mine was looking at a Powermatic model 100 planner to purchase. This fellow in our area has one for sale and is asking $1300.00 for it. He asked me to take a look at it this weekend which is fine with me but my question is; what is the value of it??????

I've been around machinery all my life but I have never come acrosss this model. I was thinking one of you may give me a bit of info in it.

Thanks
    Ben
    I have a Powermatic Model 100 that I bought new in 1990 for $2600. It's a great planer, a small version of Powermatic's 16-24" large industrial planers. It has a proper pressure bar, chipbreaker, etc, and everything is adjustable. I see them selling for anywhere from $600 for a very old one is rough shape up to $1500 for a very nice one.

Lot's of people use their thickness planer to plane panels they have glued up. My panels are flat to start with so I just prepare the stock to the finished thickness and glue up. If your friend wants to plane glued up panels, then I'd go wider. For me, the next wide tool is a 12" wide jointer.

What kind of condition is it in?

joe

I bought a Powermatic Model 100 last fall for $800. Mechanically great though painted grey with a brush in a prior life. Original was the light Powermatic green, guessing it was from the mid 1960's. Was able to find a new set of blades from a place in Las Vegas for a great price (around $40), can't recall the name. Manual calls for 1" and most places only have 7/8".

Powermatic

Thanks fellows,

I hope to view the machine this week. I believe the machine is the Powermatic mustard gold. It looks from the picture that it is in very nice shape. As soon as I see it I will report back with the condition. Hopefully it is in nice shaper and he purchases it. He is really not a woodworker. He owns an antique business on his farm. He has recently acquired a 1700 era homestead that was his wife's Great Great Great grandfathers. He is in the process of moving it to his farm and is going to erect it there. He wants to use the planer to make new flooring. He has cut down a few oak trees and has had the them sawn and dried. He is trying to rebuild it as original as possible but, some items must be replaced. Any thing that was in contact with the ground has obviously rotted. I help out when I can and give advice but this is quite a job.

Thank you for your help.

Ben