Thread: Outdoor Woods?

Outdoor Woods?

What wood works well outdoors. My wife wants some plant-pot stands with natural finish. I have some oak, pine, Philippine mahogany, and ash to work with.

None of what you have listed is particularly good for outdoors unless the oak you have is white oak. White oak is weather resistant; red oak is not. I don't believe that Philippine mahogany is weather resistant (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but some other species of mahogany are.

Some other choices include cedar, cypress, ipe and teak. Cedar and cypress are relatively reasonable in cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Alascan cedar is NO1! Teak is great too...but $$$$
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    Alascan cedar is NO1! Teak is great too...but $$$$
    I've never seen Alaskan cedar on this side. Would it be available here?
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

Qsawn white oak has held up fine here.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Western Red Cedar might work well for plant stands. Not sure if you guys have it readily available on the east coast though. Out here people use it extensively for fencing. It's very weather resistant and insect proof. It turns grey with time, but sanding or pressure washing brings it back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McQuay View Post
    I've never seen Alaskan cedar on this side. Would it be available here?
    I just made a patio table from it and there has been no change in the wods appearance in a couple of months outside. I bought it from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana....about $6.50 a bf
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    What wood works well outdoors. My wife wants some plant-pot stands with natural finish. I have some oak, pine, Philippine mahogany, and ash to work with.

How about IPE

On the other hand if you really want to use a non typical wood in an outdoor setting you might consider using a two part catalyzing urethane to permanently seal the lumber. It's expensive but it's superb for outdoor apps.

Philippine mahogany is a very good out door wood. I have a couple of adirondick chairs that are over 10 years old and they have held up fine.
    Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I just made a patio table from it and there has been no change in the wods appearance in a couple of months outside. I bought it from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana....about $6.50 a bf
    Thanks Mark, Santa Ana is a pretty good walk from my house. If I ever see it here I will definitely give it a try. I use white oak a lot but it needs to have a finish for outside.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

I 2nd the western red cedar. Nice stuff, just built a nice picnic table out of it. Real weather resistant, easy to machine with tools, and nice and light!!!!!