Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting Started

Ok, I've never been a prolific poster, but nobody seems to want to get this started. Sooo...

The last couple of years I've done more remodeling than woodworking, but now I am trying to finishup a shadow box for my fathers military decorations and I've got a couple of rocking horses under way. The compound miters for the legs are kicking my tail. Nothing I can't handle...I just need to go out and work on them for more than 20 minutes at a time.

If I can get a digital camera, I'll get some design advice for a fireplace surround that I need to build. I've got some challanges to deal with that I could use some help with. Maybe I can post some pics later in the week.

What are y'all working on?

Mike

Projects

Mike,

Here is a picture of a project I have been trying to find the time to complete for longer than I can remember. I have about 80 hours in Clyde now and it will probably take at least another 80 hours to finish him. Besides the woodworking I have to cut and install the hair and make/engrave the leather bridle/harness.

Clyde is my eighth rocking animal, there have been four burros, one goat, one bull and one mare plus a haywagon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am currently trying desperarly to get a cradle done for my new grandson who decided to come a month early,but now my new planer is giving me fits.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Smile Cradle

I understand the rush on the cradle. I too, have a grandson on the way, will be here around the end of May. My DIL (daughter-in-law) wants me to build a sleigh bed style crib. Needless to say, Grandpa wants to build the crib that his first grandson will sleep in.

I have been spending a fair amount of time installing new wiring in the shop and have several commission projects to get done, so most likely the crib will be a work til the last minute to get it done.

Good luck with the cradle and hope you get the planer straightened out.

Bob

A buffet and hutch

My current project is a walnut buffet w/ hutch. Has been in progress for 12 years. No activity in the last 11 yr 11mo. It is so near finished it resided in the in the dining room after the last moved (1999). It even had stuff in the drawers. It is now back in the shop for finishing.

Just need the crown/dentil moudling around the top of the hutch. The top of the buffet cut to size and a couple of shelves made. Then the finishing can begin.

Ted

Computer Desk

I have been trying for a year to build a computer desk for myself. Bewteen doing work for my family and friends(I built a garden shed , trimmed out a kitchen and dinning room, and built a ice fishing house.) I finally found the time to start it. Seems like when I have some free time someone needs something done
    Dave

I'm currently working on some red oak end tables and coffee table for LOML. My older brother just got a freebie lathe (old sears-see post below), and I'm helping him get started with that. Gave him a bunch of scraps to practice with. We need to nominate somebody for "Weekend Projects", I really enjoyed reading what everybody else was up to in the shop.

Comments

Keith,

I saw your animals on your web site several days ago. they look real interesting. It looks ike there's a lot of wood in them! I'd like to be able to do a bunch of stuff like that one day.

Ted,

Has been in progress for 12 years.
    !!!! I've never had a project take that long, but I've got a few that a might if I don't get busy!

Dave,

Have I mentioned that I'm a remodeler and I have alot of things that need to be done?

Happy woodworking,
    Mike

Unhappy Believe it or not

<p align="center"><font color="red"><b>I started building my 1st WW'ing project about 2 months ago.</b></font>
    Of all things it is a 5" X 5" 3 sided box for holding coasters. It's made out of cherry. I've probably spent a couple of hours on it so far, including making a box joint jig. It hasn't turned out all that great - mainly because I'm using a very cheap wobble dado blade to do the box joints.

<p align="center"><b>That's my story & I'm sticking to it</b>

I haven't been out in the shop for a few weeks cause it's been too cold. So my 5" x 5" box still isn't done.
    <b>I'm thinking about wrapping the edges in maple to hide my mistakes - er I mean I might be making some design changes next time I'm out in the shop </b><br>
    When that's done I'm going to make some shop jigs & start on a router table.
    I'm kind of like a bear I hibernate in the winter so I'll be more productive in the shop in the summer time.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Something Different

Heres a project I did awhile back, something in wood you don't see every day. This is a cherry plaque I engraved of two kids with the bull I built. The picture was taken at a local fair we attended and we made free digital pictures for everyone at the fair. The wooden plaque was engraved from the digital picture and hangs on the wall in my office.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wiring my shop. Putting up lights and conduit, pulling wire, etc..

After that, I've got some cabinet doors to put the finish on, then it looks like I've got a commission for a modern dining table and coffee table coming my way.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Weekend projects

Joe,

I would suggest we wait on "Weekend Projects" until we see if Ernie is going to show up and resume with that. Seems only fitting. If he doesn't, then someone else could do it. Or someone could do it until he does show up.

Keith,

I assume you have a laser engraving machine. That really looks cool.

Bob

Besides doing this for a living, I cleaned up around the shop a couple weeks ago and realized I have the following 'hobby projects' in progress:

1) A walnut 'entertainment center' that will probably just be a 'TV stand' if I ever get around to finsihing it...I haven't touched it in well over a year (and it's almost done).

2) A cherry bed. I ran across just enough 12/4 cherry to get all four legs out of several months ago. Legs are cut, mortises are cut for the hardware, and some sanding's been done...but now I need to go the lumberyard and buy material, so the legs are stacked on top of the TV stand until I do.

3) A pair of nitestands to go with the bed. Legs and side aprons are cut and dry assembled, leaned against a wall where I can see them everytime I'm in the shop and feel bad about it.

4) A cherry 'curio' clock that I started late last year when I made a mesquite one for sale. I figured it would be easier to do two at the same time. The mesquite one is in it's new home...and I promptly set the cherry one aside, in front of the nitestands.

4) A 'Shaker style' cherry frame/panel/glass cabinet to house LOML's growing collection of Boyd's Bears. Sides frames are assembled and stored with the nitestands and clock.

5) A cherry cradle for visiting grandchildren, which will also be used to hold larger teddy bears the rest of the time. The 'box' is complete but I just haven't come up with the right rocker/stand solution yet. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but it just doesn't 'look right'. This one is most in the way, and at the top of the 'to finish' list.

6) A tile-top mesquite coffee table that I started building to take to a show last October. Obviously, I didn't take it. The tile is in the top, not grouted...and the legs are stacked on the TV stand.

Parts (panels/shelves, etc) for the bear cabinet, clock, and nitestands are glued up, sanded, and stacked on two Shaker footstools waiting on taping. Two other footstools are under the tablesaw extension table, and parts for still a couple more are put away somewhere where I 'won't forget where they are'. You probably know what that means.

I probably oughta try to get sumpin' done this weekend...

KC

Darn kirk

You got enough to keep you busy for 2 years there ( 5 if it were me ). i guess it's kind of like my web design business - I've been meaning to update my own site for about 3 years now but can't ever find the time.

<p align="center"><font size="4" color="green"><b>I've seen the curio clock on your web site - real nice design. </b></font>
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Question Question for Kieth on engraver

Keith,
    Can you reproduce any picture or graphic with the laser engraver? Tha'ts really if you can.

Nice job on the plaque
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP