Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started

Talking

Hi All,

Thought I'd post up on my first dip in the creek. I, too am a pond refugee and really like what I see here and I'm anxious to "meet" the new folks over here and keep in touch with fellow ponders. I am currently closing in on a Mahogany and curly Maple frame and panel bed. Pictures below are a dry fit of the head board, and a panel from the footboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bed's posts are really straight although they look a bit curved in the image. Here also is a picture of one of the panels from the footboard. I didn't know you could only post one picture at a time. (still learning!)

Jim Izat

Sounds a lot like my situation Mike. I've spent most of my free time fixin' on a 40 yr old house and setting up a decent shop in 10' X 15' former carport. I've got all the tools I need and made most of them mobile so I plan to start remodeling the kitchen soon. I will make all the cabinets (Mission style) and also do some cabinetry for the bathroom. No digital camera yet but it's in the plan.

My oldest son was home a couple of weeks ago and he wanted/needed a small table to set a scuplture he had received on. This is what I came up with.

Otherwise starting on a large entertainment center/wall unit. Two small ash and walnut bedside stands and a contemporary chest with a couple of drawers from walnut and ash.

If thats not enough, we have decided I should have a web site so now I am learning how to do this. WWing is much easier.

Randy
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.3 KB, 70 views)

Laser Engraving

Tom,

The laser engraver works like a printer. I use Corel Draw to scan, edit and print to the engraver so just about any picture can be used. Pictures with lots of contrast work best and line art is really nice on wood, glass and mirrors.

I will have a laser woodworking forum here in a week or so, there isn't really a good place on the Internet to share laser information so I thought I would share with everyone the experience I have gained and hopefully there will be others who are interested in sharing as well. Most of the sites I have visited don't have information concerning getting a laser going from scratch, they are for advanced operators. Aaron and I have done some very cool stuff but we had to learn by trial and error. I might be able to save someone who is just getting started some time.

A laser in a workshop is just like any other tool, it takes time and practice to learn to use it efficiently but it is the ultimate woodworking tool.