Thread: Message threading

Message threading

One mild frustration I have with these forums (and others using this software, so I'm petty sure it is not something with in the adminstrator's control, but I'll never know if I don't ask) is the absolutely horrendous message threading. I'm used to usenet, where threads on specific subtopics are logically separated.

A hypothetical example of what I mean: I ask in the general woodworking forum about the best way to cut an angled mortise. One person answers with a method using a router, and two more chime in with variations on that technique. Then another person who has the secret for starting a new subthread, responds to the original post with a method using a drill press to drill overlapping holes, and paring the sides with chisels. This generates a few comments, and soon someone suggests, in the same subthread, use of the Domino. Later another reader has suggestions about the router methods mentioned earlier, but it gets posted to the drill press/Domino subthread.

Is there any option in the forum software to make proper threading more natural for people to do? I suspect that the problem is the big "Post Reply" buttons. If they were eliminated, folks would have to hit the reply button in the message to which they are replying, where it would get properly threaded. Another alternative (almost certainly software mod, not an administrator setting) would be to have the big "reply" button pop up the tree of messages and ask you to click the message to which you are replying.

I never use the threaded display mode, but the linear mode. Dont have a clue how any replies of mine might be showing up in threaded mode, but that might be one of the contributing factors?
    Use the fence Luke

The only way that "sub-threading" would work would be if everyone put a title on their posts and things were set up to have replies be related to specific posts in a thread. I'm not sure if that's possible with vBulletin. Aaron?

But you might want to play with the three or so methods of thread display to see which one most matches your personal preferences. You can make those adjustments in your profile via "User CP" at the top of any page.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I never use the threaded display mode, but the linear mode. Dont have a clue how any replies of mine might be showing up in threaded mode, but that might be one of the contributing factors?
    Probably. Jim's post appears in threaded mode to be a reply to yours. I suspect that it was intended to be a reply to my original. Temporarily switch to threaded or mixed mode (which I don't really understand) and you will see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The only way that "sub-threading" would work would be if everyone put a title on their posts and things were set up to have replies be related to specific posts in a thread.
    No, you can have the kind of threading I am talking about without titles. Maybe I am misusing the term "subthread" here?

Added note: I have made a concious effort to reply (with quotes) specifically to Doug's and Jim's notes, and sent this as a quick reply to my original note, as an example of the way I think threading _should_ work.

I always use Linear mode. From your last message, it sounds like the quick reply associates with the post that the button is on. The issue is that it is likely those of us who use linear mode just click on any old quick reply to post in the thread. Well, at least that's what I do. I guess I'll have to re-think that going forward...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I always use Linear mode. From your last message, it sounds like the quick reply associates with the post that the button is on. The issue is that it is likely those of us who use linear mode just click on any old quick reply to post in the thread. Well, at least that's what I do. I guess I'll have to re-think that going forward...
    Well, I'm not out to change the world here, even if I think you guys using linear mode are missing the boat (or would be if the boat were running as it could ) To me, the advantage in a threaded structure, if people used it, is illustrated with my original example of angled mortises. If a reader looks at the forum next month when there are 100 messages in that discussion , it is easy for him to skip the 65 messages that go off on a Domino tangent if that is not of interest to him and he can quicly hone in on the subthreads of discussion about techniques available with equipment or skills he has.

A P.S. here. If I were a moderator, I think I would be using linear mode as well, since I would always be looking at the most recent posts. As a user that only "tunes in" every week or two on average, I would find the threading helpful.

Alex..."Hybrid" mode gives you both...
    --