Thread: Does any one use cutlist plus for sheet goods?

Does any one use cutlist plus for sheet goods?

Does any one use cutlist plus for sheet goods? I down loaded the trial version and it seems pretty cool. I was just wondering if anyone used it in their shops.

It seems pretty expensive. Are there different programs that work better? More cost effective?

Ryan,

I use it quite often. Mostly for sheet good layout and doing quotes on custom orders.A little painful at first until you get your supplies/pricing programed in, the it is a breeze to get a quote out quickly.

Jody

I used it when I did my kitchen in 2003 and am using it for the cabinetry for our addition. I don't usually work with sheet goods so most of the time, the application isn't needed. But when I do...CutList Plus is great! I have a license for the "Silver" edition...at least that was what it was called when I purchased it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I purchased it when I built several cabinets, bench, and drawers in the workshop. Was very helpful. One of the cool features is that you can print out labels for the parts. Comes in handy when you have to cut several pieces which may be close to each other in size. I've used it for several projects since then, including projects which use no sheet goods at all. I'm sure more experienced folks don't need to do this, but it's useful to me to determine what size boards I should buy to get the best yield for a project. Takes a while to "load in" various sizes of boards, sheet goods, etc. You can also load in hardware, specialty items, etc. to help track overall costs of a project. All in all, I really like the product.

Greg

I'm a high school shop teacher and I use it all the time. I don't know what I would do without it or something similar to it. I don't program in all the wood species I just program in the size of sheet goods that we use. I just have Red Oak sheet goods programed in but if I use another type of wood I just keep that in mind when I go to the shop. What's really great about it is that if you're doing more than 1 project you can combine the projects on Cutlist Plus and really save on your plywood. I would recomend it. Just like any other computer program it takes some time mastering but once you do it is very fast and easy! This is a program that I would consider to be way underpriced for what it does.

if you get a copy of ecabinets, it has a cutlist program within the main program which saves on transcription errors.

Thanks for all the input. The more i've been playing with it the more I like it. I'm going to be making some kitchen cabinets in the next few months so I think it would come in most hand for that. I think that I will have to purchase a license.

Ryan, I forgot to mention in my previous post that for my kitchen project, I have no doubt that CutList Plus saved me several sheets of goods and that's real money. And even if that wasn't the case, the pre-planning it provides makes big jobs easier and more organized...something very important to avoid some mistakes as well as optimize your time and space in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use cutlist plus on every project. It helps me determine the amount of rough lumber I need to buy in addition to the sheet goods. I put in other costs such as hardware, finishes, etc. and I get a good estimate of total cost. Once you have the data entered for a project, you can change the species and see what effect that would have on the project cost. I think mine is silver, I used the one that had a limit of 25 parts, and had to split the project up. Now with the limit of 50 parts, it works better for me. Highly recommend it.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Another plus from me.

I am sure I saved the purchase cost from lack of errors.

I have the 25 part version and it will do almost all of a kitchen. I get around by splitting my parts up when needed.

Sides, tops and bottoms in one file. Backs and drawer sides and bottoms in another.

I am going to experiment with using it for solid stock on this current project.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I got it, use it, and LIKE IT!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.