Thread: Baltic birch and apply ply

Baltic birch and apply ply

I was looking at the baltic birch ply and apply ply at Boulter Plywood's website and was wondering why the apple ply is so much heavier (and pricier). If you click on products on the top, and then multi-layer plywood on the left column you'll get to that page (I couldn't seem to link to it here). They list baltic birch as having 13 plys for 3/4" and a 4x8 sheet is $109 and weighs 75 lbs. The Apple ply is $120 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" and weights 95 lbs. I was thinking of using one of these for some drawers and was wondering what the difference was.
    -Rob

Hi, I often use Baltic Birch plywood for projects, in fact I'm just completing a shop base cabinet with drawers made from this material.

The BB ply has a face veneer of 1.4mm, versus .64mm for the apple ply, something that makes sanding a whole lot less stressful.

In addition the number of layers is higher in the BB plywood.

I also noticed that your price seems high to me, as I only pay $41 Canadian a sheet for 19mm BB plywood.

regards, Rod.

Dimensions may be wrong

I wouldn't put much stock in their weight numbers. If you are to believe their website, a 4x8 sheet weighs 75lbs and a 5x5 sheet weighs 64lbs. This is pretty inconsisent with the ratio of 32 square feet to 25 square feet.
    Last edited by Lars A Stole; 05-04-2007 at 1:42 PM.

I have been looking for 1/2" Baltic Birch Ply for a month now (in Calgary). If anyone sees a supply, please post. Thanks!
    Wood works well with winter

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I often use Baltic Birch plywood for projects, in fact I'm just completing a shop base cabinet with drawers made from this material.

The BB ply has a face veneer of 1.4mm, versus .64mm for the apple ply, something that makes sanding a whole lot less stressful.

In addition the number of layers is higher in the BB plywood.

I also noticed that your price seems high to me, as I only pay $41 Canadian a sheet for 19mm BB plywood.

regards, Rod.
    So you'd think the baltic would be more expensive, but it's less. Curious.

6. A lot of woodworkers assume these two products are the same except for the size of the sheets, but this is not correct. The Appleply is a higher grade of plywood with an alder core and maple face. The maple face provides a smoother surface veneer and the alder core machines a little better.

Rob:

Here is a link to some more information on ApplePly.

http://www.statesind.com/pdf/ApplePly.pdf

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dorcas View Post
    I have been looking for 1/2" Baltic Birch Ply for a month now (in Calgary). If anyone sees a supply, please post. Thanks!
    Home Depot has small 2' x 4' sheets around $20 Cdn.

Baltic Birch

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dorcas View Post
    P J White Hardwoods has a branch in Calgary - I get all my BB from them in Vancouver