Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Glue Help for Slow-Setting Glue

Need Glue Help for Slow-Setting Glue

I tried to use the Search function, but all the short, common words like "long", "open", "time", and "glue" kicked out, leaving me everything but what I wanted.

I made up some case frames for some cabinets for my garage. Everything is dadoed and fits together like a puzzle. I'm at the point of gluing everything together, but I don't dare try this glue-up with my regular Titebond II or III glue. I need more open time to get everything together.

Any suggestions for an alternate glue?

It's hard to explain, but the way that everything is laid out doesn't really allow for a multi-session glue-up. I want to put it all together at once. I'll need up to 30 minutes to do that and I don't want the glue to start setting until it's all together and everything pulls itself square.

David Marks always refers to Plastic Resin Glue that he likes because of the long open time. I've never used anything like that, but it might work if I could get it locally.

Thanks for the help!

Keith

Keith,

I had a similar need a few years ago and ended up having the local Ace hardware store order DAP plastic resin glue for me. I couldn't find it stocked anywhere locally which is why the special order, but you may find it available in your area.

It comes in a one pound tub and is a powder that you mix with warm water.

30 minutes shouldn't be a problem for open time. I don't recall exactly but think it listed 1 or 2 hours on the package. The 'drawback' is that you really have to let it dry for 12 hours or more before it sets up.

Other guys on the board may have experience with other brangs, they will chime in on those.

Keith.

Don't forget about epoxy resins. You can have some fairly long working times with epoxy resins. Hour+ if needed.
    I believe hide glue and resorcinol have long open times.
    There is a lot of info on "glues" in the link below

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21822

4. Keith,
    I have had great success with liquid hide glue when doing complicated assemblies. I have since gone using hot hide glue with urea for the bulk of my assembly, but if faced with a difficult glue up I wouldn’t hesitate to use liquid hide glue ( sideboards are the most difficult thing I’ve glued together). If you go the liquid hide glue route, you’d be better off buying it from an online/mail order retailer, because it has a limited shelf life. I’ve seen bottles of it on hardware store shelves that were 2 years past their expiration date.
    Rob Millard

another option is to assemble half of it without glue (i.e. dry fit), then glue the other pieces together as you add them onto the first half, and clamp as though everything was glued together. when dry, glue the remaining pieces and reclamp. i have used this approach several times with bookcases and tables, but its utility will depend on the exact fit of your piece.

Need Help for Slow-Setting Glue

I have switched to epoxy whenever I need a long open time for complex glue-ups. The other advantage of epoxy over glue is that it gives with wood movement. It is really different to be able to relax while doing the glue-up for a change - keeps the heart beat steady.

I usually reach for liquid hide glue when I need a long open time. It's good stuff, but it's not very resistant to water. I would think about that before using it for garage cabinets.

A polyurethane glue like Gorilla Glue would work well, too. No problem with water resistance, but the foam-out can be a pain in the rear to deal with. The open time of this stuff varies somewhat according to the humidity level in your shop -- the more humid, the shorter the open time (moisture activates the curing process).

Good luck! -- Paul

Try System 3 T-88 epoxy available at most large wood places (maybe not the Borg). You have about an hour (temperature dependent) of assembly time but you will have to keep it in clamps for about 12 hours to allow it to set. It's also extremely strong and gap filling.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike.
    I like T-88 because it's easier to meter out a small amount at a time, than mix a small amount accurately with the other system three products. I like the gap filling property also.

One trick I learned from someone here on the board was to cool the pot of "normal epoxy" with ice to increase pot life. The cold slows down the exothermic reaction. Works great. I've come back to pots after an hour that were still good to go.

A little off topic here, but epoxy was recommended, and I was looking at the West system for some slow drying glue.
    It has the convenient dispensers and think it might be the way to go.

I was just wondering what the container life of the unmixed epoxy is?

Hate to buy a gallon of it and find out I had a week to use it...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    One trick I learned from someone here on the board was to cool the pot of "normal epoxy" with ice to increase pot life. The cold slows down the exothermic reaction. Works great. I've come back to pots after an hour that were still good to go.
    That's a great idea - cooling the epoxy to get more time. Thanks for passing that along.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm about to hop on my bike and pick up some Pro-Glue Veneer Bond Dry Resin at WoodCraft. I'll give that a shot. Looks like a nice day for a ride!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    A little off topic here, but epoxy was recommended, and I was looking at the West system for some slow drying glue.
    It has the convenient dispensers and think it might be the way to go.

I was just wondering what the container life of the unmixed epoxy is?

Hate to buy a gallon of it and find out I had a week to use it...

Al
    i bought some West epoxy about 5 years ago in the 1 qt container and it still works. i have kept the dispensers plugged with golf tees.

Thanks Jim, 5 year pot life will work just find.
    Nice idea about the golf tee's...probably a good thing to use them at, as when I use them for holding a golf ball, the ball never goes where I want it to...gotta be the tee....right???
    Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    ........David Marks always refers to Plastic Resin Glue that he likes because of the long open time. I've never used anything like that, but it might work if I could get it locally.

Thanks for the help!

Keith

Keith, Here's a link to what "Da Man" himself recommends;
    http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/3..._the_46688.asp
    He list a few brands and their contact info......
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other