Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's why I haven't posted in a while.

Blog Entries

Here's why I haven't posted in a while.

Here is the beginning of my new wood turners studio. I dug and poured 20 12x12 column to mount support beams which will be the base for the 12x20 Home-place structure bungalow I ordered. I would have built it from scratch but time is of the essence. The temprature will be over 100 this weekend and it won't let up for several months. The kit is supposed to be delivered Monday so I'm hoping to have it built and ready for roofing the weekend after. I used to be a framer so this is a piece of cake for me as long as the kit is accurate. I'll post more as it comes together. (To think that my jet mini inspired all this motivation back in december.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Stones

Hi Bill,

Did you build the walkway with those Quikrete forms that allow you to pour concrete pathways and patios and such? I've always wondered how those work..

Congratulations!

OHHHH the insanity of the swirling vortex!!! I see a larger building foy you in 4 years Bill!! Has to be becasue of the Robust you are giong to order.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Cam View Post
    Hi Bill,

Did you build the walkway with those Quikrete forms that allow you to pour concrete pathways and patios and such? I've always wondered how those work..

Congratulations!
    Yes I did. What I figured out about 1/2 way throught the job was once you pull the mold off go over the stones with a wet sponge while the cement is still a little firm to get them a nicer look. It works very well, I think you'll like them.

Bill I can say two things about you for sure: One, you picked up segmenting and learned it with what seems to me like lightening speed; and two, when you set your mind to something you go in head first, all the way. Way to go with the new shop! (Can't bring myself to call it a "studio"!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post
    OHHHH the insanity of the swirling vortex!!! I see a larger building foy you in 4 years Bill!! Has to be becasue of the Robust you are giong to order.
    How much is a Robust anyway?

Bill, don't let them pick on you. Congrats on your new studio.

We'll be joining you later this summer/fall - putting a 12x20' addition onto our shop to house the lathes, bandsaw, and storage for turning stock, etc. The main shop just doesn't have enough room!!!!

Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 05-10-2007 at 8:08 PM.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mark. The only problem I'm experiencing is spinner withdrawl syndrome. I have 1/2 of my masterpiece sitting on my lathe waiting for the Turquoise beauty ring. It will have over 2000 pieces when finshed. It drives me nutz to see it sitting there calling my name.

Once the vortex begins to swirl, your shop space is never big enough. At the very least you always can use more storage space. Get us pics as it progresses.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Blog Entries
    I'll tell ya, anything is better than the 1/4 of my carport I've been working out of so far Plus The LOML is not allowed to put any of her stuff in here.

Yeah right, the LOML isn't allowed in the garage either HUMPHHHH!!!! Half of what's in there is her's and it's taking up my tool space!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Blog Entries
    Thats what happened to me. She sucked up all my realastate.

Congrats on the new Studio Bill.

I guess you haven't figured it out yet. After 40 yrs. with the LOML she said men don't understand one thing. "What is mine is mine and what is yours is mine." So I wouldn't get to hasty with she ain't putting stuff in my studio.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Come on Bernie, I gave her the entire garage. The only thing I have in the entire house is the couch, the entertainment system and the 50" plasma TV. she replaced everything else with her stuff. I do have a few turnings That have passed QC and have made it into the general viewing area though. When I first started this she was quite grouchy but now that she sees that the old rusty shed is gone and that she will have more room for her stuff she's coming around to my way of thinking. I'm hoping that my new powermatic table saw can make it in the building without notice Usually if it makes it in the room and the boxes are gone i'm safe.

Exactly!!! She sees the extra storage space for your couch entertainment center and 50" plasma tv to go into the new shop! She's moving you out one step at a time. Just put a wet bar and build a humidor like mine and have a greeat time in your new small home!!! She will take the pretty objects you make out and put it in her space, but te sawdust and the husband are out!

Congrats on the building, I am envious, as I just put my new lathe in the garage and now don't have much room for my other score. (delta shopmaster table saw and delta 12" planer for $100) (of course these will be useful in making round objects out of the flat stuff)