Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Ohio metal planes

Question about Ohio metal planes

G'day everyone.

Just curious ...

Did the Ohio Tool Co. of Auburn N.Y. ever put tapered laminated irons into their Bailey-style bench planes?

Almost all the Ohio planes I've seen have been woodies, so I thought I'd ask those who know.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

Ohio bench planes

Ohio makes a standard set of metallic bench planes like stanley. They range from No.01 to No.08. The have tapered irons like wood planes. They are good users . No.01 and No.02 are very scarce and are collectable (more valuable than their Stanley equivalent).

Thanks, Clint. I have the No. 8 size with a corrugated sole. I just wasn't sure about the iron; I've never seen a tapered iron on a Bailey-style plane.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

I have a 04 1/4, 05, and 07 they all had the thick tapered blades, they are all users, and generally are less expensive than their Stanley counterparts.

One difference is the 04 1/4 which is a wider blade than the 04, they also made a 04 1/2 and 04 3/4 both wider than the 04.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Ohio Bench Planes

I have a 06 & 08. Both have Globe brand tapered laminated irons. These irons are virtually chatter free.

I wonder if they contracted out some of the irons to other companies or foundries? Though mine is just marked 'Ohio Tool Co Thistle Brand Auburn N.Y.' or something like that.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

Eclipse also sold a plane that had a tapered blade.

I ended up with one that was trashed, but I did get $15 for the cutting iron on ebay. If I remember right, it was tapered from .10" to .25" at the business end. I thought about opening up the mouth on one of my Stanleys, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

In their latter stages of existence Ohio Tool owned Auburn tool works and the thistle brand,Star and New York Tool Company, all of which were I gather marketing names of Auburn tool works.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

It was interesting to me to discover that Mr Hock and others weren't the first ones to think of putting thick blades into Bailey-pattern planes.

I look fwd to seeing how much it reduces chatter. However, I'm not so sure about the bedding of the frog; doesn't look like it has as much contact as an old Bailey.

Clint, Ohio info please

Clint, I have a #2 sized metal plane, Stanley style but have been unable to determine who made it.

Do you know where I can get more detailed information on Ohio planes or any other old manufacturors of Stanley type planes??

Thanks,

Doug
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Pm me

Doug Pm me. There are no sites for this information it is scattered. I can tell you exactly who made it.

Doug quick way to tell is if the number on the plane starts with 0, and the front tote is the old style Stanley ie mushroomed shape, than it is am Ohio Tool plane. Usually the blade will say as much also. If it is somthing else than I can't help you.

N. W. Kay

#2 plane ID

Well, there is no 'O' in front of the '2', just 'No' on the left of the knob and '2' on the right. In fact, I'm not even sure where the knob and tote are for this guy, I'll have to dig around some more to find them.

The plane I think was originally gray and the previous owner thought he'd paint it a pretty green (yuck!!) andway, he gave it to me so beggers can't be choosers. It has a small chip on the rear of the mouth, messes it up as a colloector piece but not as a user and since it was given to me, I won't sell it, just want to restore it (but to what is the question).

There are ZERO other marks on the plane body, frog, cap iron and the blade says "Stiletto". I've been in contact with them (Stiletto,no help there, made blades a long time ago for several different folks) and the blade is tapered and appears to be laminated.

Clint - I'll PM some pics for you.

THanks all
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

What sort of timber is it that Ohio have used for the handles on their metal planes? They do all appear to be the same sort of lighter colour.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

P.S. While we're on woods ... some of you will notice that Phil from the British "Philsville" site has recently acquired a Krenov-made plane in a stripy timber (there's a link to photos of it on his page) ... what species is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan Schepel View Post
    What sort of timber is it that Ohio have used for the handles on their metal planes? They do all appear to be the same sort of lighter colour.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

P.S. While we're on woods ... some of you will notice that Phil from the British "Philsville" site has recently acquired a Krenov-made plane in a stripy timber (there's a link to photos of it on his page) ... what species is that?
    Hard to say I have a copy of their 1910 catalogue and it does not specify which wood they used. Their chisels had polished hickory handles, and their wood planes which they had made for years were beech, but the metal planes are not specified so perhaps it varied.

Correction to my earlier post they only made the 4 1/4, and 4 1/2 but they did offer both as a C.

N. W. Kay