Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Ohio metal planes

Thanks, James. The one I have does not appear to have a grain pattern typical of beech. I was wondering if it was apple, but it might not be dark enough.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

Again old thread, but start is just what I have in my mind too.

I just bought Ohio Tool number 4 hand plane.

IMG_2125.JPGIMG_2130.JPG

No other marking at body, than 04 at front. Quite heavy. Casting seems quite thick at bottom.

IMG_2127.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2132.JPG

That round logo, at center reads Ohio. At sides Ohio Tool Company, Columbus, Ohio, USA, Auburn, NY. Iron is tapered and laminated. In my opinion, quite manly looking iron.

IMG_2133.JPGIMG_2134.JPG

Here is also pictures at frog and body under the frog.

I don't know much about these. Do anybody know when this kind of planes are made? I read that 1913 flood washed the factory away and new was build at Charleston. Do they use that Columbus stamped logo after that? And there was also pictures plane which have some different kind of frog seating. And some patentdates on body. Are those older or newer? When Ohio Tools started to make metal planes?

I kind of like feeling of this plane.

BR,
    Petri

It looks like the tongue on the adjuster yoke is much longer than that of Stanley's that used constant thickness irons, but it doesn't explain how Ohio were able to maintain constant pressure on the lever cap when the depth of cut was altered. As was mentioned, tapered irons were commonly restricted to wooden bodied planes that rely on a wooden wedge and not a threaded depth adjuster.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-03-2017 at 7:46 AM. Reason: Removed link to ebay

I have an 0-7 down in the shop. I may get down there today and look it over. I seem to recall the iron was not tapered, the hole at the end of the slot is a six sided affair. It also had the Globe logo.
    IMAG0054.jpg
    In fact, it actually...
    snapped.jpg
    Had snapped, I had a friend wire-weld the iron back together....
    0-7 shavings.jpg
    Seems to work nicely, now.
    IMAG0063.jpg
    I cleaned up the bottom of the frog,
    IMAG0057.jpg
    Among other things.
    IMAG0060.jpg
    This was before I cleaned the frog'seat.

At one time, I also had a "Savage #6" with basically all the same features. Neither of these had a tapered iron......
    IMAG0004.jpg
    My 0-35 does have a tapered iron The 0-7 is sitting behind it..

I have tried to dug some info about these. Quite hard seems to be.

We noticed that there are two different Globe logos. One says Columbus and another Charleston. At in advertisements logo was changed between 03.1914 to 05.1914. Don't know when it changed at real products.

Do anyone knows is there Ohio Tool catalog available to download at some page? I could not found any. Only those who was selling old or reprinted versions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi Rosso View Post
    I have tried to dug some info about these. Quite hard seems to be.

We noticed that there are two different Globe logos. One says Columbus and another Charleston. At in advertisements logo was changed between 03.1914 to 05.1914. Don't know when it changed at real products.

Do anyone knows is there Ohio Tool catalog available to download at some page? I could not found any. Only those who was selling old or reprinted versions.
    The site most of those things are found only has a few old invoices and magazine advertisement:

http://www.toolemera.com/Manufacture...hants/mfg.html

Here is site with a few pages on planes from an Ohio Tool Catalog:

https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioOhio.html

Jim Bode wants $325 for his copy of the catalog.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-15-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: site with few pages & Jim Bode
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Jim Bode wants $325 for his copy of the catalog.
    Yeah, I am interested of those, but not that price.... Quite expensive....

Adriaan,

I restored an OHIO 04 that was my grandfathers, and as a part of that had to chase down a lot of parts, including the iron and chip breaker. All of the metal OHIO planes I was able to see photos of were on Ebay, and there were only a tiny number over the period of about 6 months to a year that I looked.

What I can say is that as far as I remember all of the metal body OHIO planes that I saw had tapered irons like were used in wooden planes.

My grandfathers plane also now also has a tapered OHIO iron.

Tomi, the body on my grandfathers plane if virtually identical to your plane, as is the frog, with a couple of differences, but the only differences are in the marking, not in the basic casting of the body.

The first difference is that behind the frog but in front of the tote is the word "OHIO" cast in raised letters. On the toe in front of, but partially covered by the base of the knob, also in raised letters, is "No 04."

Edit: I also just noted the difference in the end piece on the horizontal adjuster lever. My plane does not have the round Stanley type wheel that contacts the iron/chip breaker assembly, rather the end is just bent up to be perpendicular to the slot, a cheaper approach. As I mentioned in the other post on these old OHIO planes, that makes me think that your plane is a later type number than my plane is.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-17-2017 at 3:02 PM.