Thread: New Husky Chainsaw won't start.. ???

Question New Husky Chainsaw won't start.. ???

There must be some bad chainsaw mojo around here... After some problems with my 20" craftsman saw, I took it back and got a 18" Husqvarna last week. I brought it home, added 2-cycle fuel and bar oil, and used it for about 10 minutes. It kinda sputtered out, and I couldn't get it started again.

I tried changing the fuel, in case the other stuff was too old. I tried messing with the choke and pulling the cord too many times to count in case it was flooded. I let it sit a week and tried again today. The engine sorta turned over (with full choke) for a second, but didn't start. That was it... the best I could get no matter how much I pulled. I did notice a small amount of fuel (an ounce or less) dripped from the engine casing, and I thought maybe it had to do with the choke.

I cut 6 bowl blanks with my 14" electric (NOT fun). Help! Any suggestions?

I think I take it back to where I bought it. Make sure whatever the problem is gets solved while it's still on warranty. Huskies are excellent saws so it's probably just either a carb adjustment or something else that needs a little tweeking.

I agree with Curt......That new...take it back to the dealer!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

4. I have a Husky and experienced something similar when I tried to get it going this spring - even a little gas dribbling over the case.

Took the top off to look at the carb and noticed the fuel line that comes out of the tank (which is the case) and to the carb had a slight crack in it. The carb would pull the fuel from the tank, and it would leak at the crack right where the line comes out. The fuel would then leak down the rear of the case.

Changed the fuel line and everything is fine now. I understand it's fairly common on Huskies. The original line is a soft black rubber so it moves around the tank easily. I'm just using the vinyl stuff from the HD chainsaw area and it works fine. I'm going to order the original Husky line when I get around to it as it seems more pliable and more easily moves withing the tank as you turn the saw from side to side.

Good luck!

I loaned mine (Husqy 372xp) to a friend, and the same thing happened to him, only he couldn't get it started after taking a break. He was apologizing profusely and offering to get it fixed, but I told him to just bring it to our church with him. I pulled on it enough times to get a cramp or two in my arm, so I gave up on that. Then I pulled the plug, blew it off, turned the saw over, and gas came dribbling out of the cylinder it was that flooded. I blew on the plug hole a bunch to clear all the gas vapors, then I went through the normal start procedure and it fired right up.

When I start mine cold, I put the choke on (all-on or all-off are the only options) and pull it until it coughs. Then I take the choke off and it will fire right up. I have to rev it a little at that point to keep it running, but that is only for a few seconds, and I'll be using it anyway. I don't like chainsaws sitting around idling much.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Try pulling the plug, pull the starter enough times to blow out any standing gas in the cylinder. Let it sit with the plug out for a half hour or so then install a new plug and fire it up.

I start my husky just like Jason, I pull choke out, pull until it coughs, push choke in, starts within next 2 pulls, rev to keep running. No Problems in 14 years.

good luck

Howie

Walter for the win!

I pulled the cover to check the plug, and guess what I see? The carb end of the fuel line hanging in midair! Well, that explains a sputtering stop followed by not starting, and fuel dribbling from the case.

I reconnected the fuel line and closed it up, then it started just as Jason described. My only problem now is the neighbors complaining about the noise at midnight! (and the embarrasment of not opening the case earlier) Thanks everyone.