Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tenon and Dovetail saws???? Lie Neilsen vs. Adria??

Dave,
    What was the cost of that saw...if I might ask?
    Thanks for the tip.
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,
    No I don't have one...just have it on the list.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Spehar prices

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Dave,
    What was the cost of that saw...if I might ask?
    Thanks for the tip.
    Mark
    Mine cost $102 shipping and all with the bubinga handle. However, I got a little bit of a discount because the bubinga had some VERY small worm holes in it. His regular price for the cherry handled version is $80 plus $12 shipping. This is in US funds. That's at least $20 cheaper than the Adria or LN. I think he normally charges $15 more for exotic wood handles. I have only used mine a few times for practice dovetails and it works like a charm. As I said, I've never used the LN or Adria, so no way for me to compare. I believe one difference between this and the LN/Adria is that the brass is two pieces riveted onto the blade as opposed to one piece bent around the blade. IMO this makes no difference either functionally or aesthetically. Vlad is one of the newer, lesser known toolmakers out there and I really like his stuff. I reckon the stuff will begin to go up in price as soon as his name gets out more. He's very good about answering e-mails and corresponding as well, not to mention being QUITE quick in making the saw and sending it out.

Thanks for posting Vlad's site. I've been watching and hearing aobut him for a couple of years now but couldn't find out the how's, why's and wherefor's.

Now I can go look and hopefully order!!

THanks.

BTW, neat thread.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Blog Entries
    Is Adria still in business? I remember they were good saws, equal to the LN dovetail saw.

I think Adria went out, you might find one used.

Blog Entries
    I have no desire for another dovetail saw, i was just wondering. I like my Lie Nielsen saw.

Adria is indeed finished, sometime last year.

I was very saddened to recently discover the passing of Mark Singer, who started this thread. He was one of the doyens of this forum some years ago - a wonderful woodworker, fantastic craftsman, ultimate gentleman, and good friend to all of us. He was a leading architect in his area of California and - that rare breed - one who was capable (and would) build furniture for the home he designed. I have missed him around here for a long time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have no desire for another dovetail saw, i was just wondering. I like my Lie Nielsen saw.

Actually I own Bontz and Bad axe saws and...my LN Dovetails aw is indeed one of my favorites.

For what its worth I think Adria's demise, at least in part, was due to a lack service and support. You had to send your saw to someone else if you wanted it professional sharpened or repaired-not a good business model in my mind. FYI: I have both an Adria dovetail saw and an LN - I much prefer the LN.

I have a Bad Axe tenon and sash and an Adria dovetail. It's okay, but I'm seriously considering selling it and getting a Bad Axe Stiletto dovetail. Love LN planes, never liked their saws.

Great old thread! Sorry to hear about Mark, and nice to see many names of days long passed.

I think this thread was the one that prompted me to buy an Adria, and I still have it, somewhere! Nice, well made saw, but never quite fit my hand correctly. I do remember for service, it had to be sent to Steve Cooke, has also passed years ago.

The other name that came up early in the thread was Tom Law. He also passed, maybe five, six years ago. Prior to this thread, I was having Tom sharpen saws for me. He quit a few years later, but sold saws he rehabbed, for next to nothing. What is interesting is that his widow was still selling off rehabbed saws at the 2016 Patina gathering! In speaking to her, though, she said she doubted to be there this year. Prices were still dirt cheap (I picked up a Disston #16 for $40, sharp). Online dealers were buying up the saws and I've seen one have the saws listed for 4 and 5 times the purchase price. If anyone here has viewed Tom's video, you may remember the saw sharpened to a point, with little of the plate left. I actually have that saw! Unfortunately, so little of the plate depth is left, that the saw is very delicate, prone to bending. It is more a display curio to sentimentally honor a friend from years ago. Someday it will be found and tossed.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Eddie Sirotek of Adria closed because he was in retirement and the sawmaking was a side business. It finally got to be too much for him and he gave a good bit of notice before he shut down. As for the sharpening, Eddie was of the old school and Old Tools List and like many of us believed that you should be able to sharpen your own saws. For many years he was the only choice of maker other than Independence/Lie-Nielsen. With the increased interest in hand tools we now have a much larger number of top end makers. I would refer to the last 10-15 years as the second golden age of hand tools.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH