Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenon and Dovetail saws???? Lie Neilsen vs. Adria??

Thanks Alan,
    No never on Sunday..no rush
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Tom Law

I haven't bought any saws from him but he does indeed sell some of the saws that he acquires from various dealers and things. Have heard nothing but good things about saws people have bought from him.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Pam,
    In certain woods I could use a stiffer blade. I am sure it is easier to keep a Adria square w/ the board when cutting dovetails. I am just trying to crank it up a notch which is possible...my eyes are still good.
    Mark
    Yes, you'll need a thicker, thus stiffer, blade if you'll be sawing on the push, which is what you do with western saws. The reason the dozuki are thinner, thus much less kerf, is that you pull them. Maybe you'd need a better dozuki? Which one(s) are you using now?

Pam

I have the LN dovetail and carcass saws. They cut beautifully, track straight, and are an absolute pleasure to use. These are my go-to saws when I am doing fine joinery. I can't compare to the Adrias, but from everything I've read, you can't go wrong with either.

I have also acquired 3 older Disstons (after I already had the L-N's), which I sent off to Tom Law for jointing, re-setting and sharpening. 1 is a smaller 10" DT saw (filed rip), one is a slightly larger 12" saw that I had him file rip to use for larger tenons and such, and one is a 14" filed crosscut that I keep on the bench to use as a more general cutoff saw with a bench hook. All of the saws sent to TL came back in excellent shape and probably cut as well as the L-N's. He even dated the saws for me (2 were cir. 1875, and the other cir 1915), which I didn't ask him to so, but it's nice to now know. If you have some old saws, I would definitely recommend sending them off to get them in working condition even if you end up buying new. And yes, he does usually have some saws on hand that you can buy directly from him. give him a call to see what he has...it will save you buying from another source and then sending them to him.

Tom

Tom,
    Very helpful...really good info...I think I will buy a new LN or Adria...and buy a old Disston from Tom..
    I also have an old Disston tenon say I can send him...
    Thanks

Pam,
    I have excellent Japanese saws...It is a great system because the blades are interchangable...I have been using these and other Dozuki's for years including some very expensive ones....I really don't need to change I just want a very good basis for comparison. Here is the link: try some of the fine blades you will love them!
    http://www.tashirohardware.com/
    Mark

Ps: read the "critical Acclaim" on the website
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-04-2004 at 4:19 PM.

Thanks, Mark, I've been using a LV professional dozuki, which is very good, probably don't need to go beyond it except for the replaceable blade/non-resharpenable blades. I tried a LN straight handled dovetail a couple of months ago, very fast, nice saw; but the kerf's too thick. Also have a Tyzack back/tenon saw that I bought new 22 years ago, it was just wonderful for dovetails, first ones were perfect; but compared to the dozuki, the kerf's too thick. I also tried a Danish bow saw for dovetails, a la Frid, but need more practice.

Last week I purchased a kaneharu rip dozuki from Harrleson (japanesetools.com), it's a beauty, and resharpenable, very stiff, wonderful saw.

My point, dovetail cutting isn't all that demanding, most anything will do that's small and stiff, rip/crosscut doesn't even matter all that much.

Pam

Alan,
    You were right again! I talked with Tom Law today and the older saws are the best! So I'm looking for an 8" dovetail and he gave me a source....right now there are none available...but he will call me.
    Mark

Pam,
    Thanks for your help. Was your Tyzack a vintage one or newer? I am starting to shop the old ones after tlhing to Tom Law. My Dozuki's are great in most woods. It is nice to have a variety.
    Mark

It's a newer Tyzack, 22 years old. If I were a better person, the Tyzack would have been sold to someone who would use it long ago, same with the Disston crosscut. The dozuki are perfect for me, there aren't all that many ways to saw dovetails, so I don't need dovetail saws in triplicate.

Pam

I was told, perhaps by Tom Law, that this. co. closed in 1985, but made very good saws. I have my father's 8", now filed rip, but rarely use it. I think he got it in 1979 or 1980, to make a cradle with dovetails for my first son. Too small for my preferred stroke. But, it is brass backed, looks great, and given the heritage, I won't be disposing of it, of course.
    Alan

Spehar Tool Works Saw

I recently got a dovetail saw from Vlad Spehar and am quite pleased with it. I have no experience with the LN or Adria, but it's hard to beat Vlad's prices and it cuts like a dream. The handle is truly custom made for my hand - he had me send my height and middle finger length - and he will make it out of several different woods depending on what he has on hand. It comes standard with a cherry handle, I think, but mine is bubinga. Just a satisfied customer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Davy,
    Excellent looking saw. Can you give me a link or contact info. for Mr Sephar?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glenn,
    Do you have one or have used one...I am looking for a real user and if it looks good great! I don' want a wall hanger. Any advice is appreciated
    Mark