Thread: PSI 14" Tempest or Woodsucker??

Question PSI 14" Tempest or Woodsucker??

I have searched, and read, and read, and read about the different options that are available for dust collection. I am confident that the way to go is most definitely a cyclone system. However, I need some help deciding on the model.

My first thought was to build one, simply for the fun of it. However I found that there are several companies offering complete units for less than I think I could build one for, and I guarantee I would have a working DC quicker that way. So, the main two models that I am considering now are the ever-loved Woodsucker, and the PSI 14” Tempest model with cartridge filter. The features and price are very similar, so I just need input on good or bad points about the units, suggestions on the specifics that I should consider before purchasing, and finally suggestions about other possibly better machines.

Has anyone purchased one of these units at a show for a discounted price? I will be attending the Woodworking Show in Atlanta at the end of this month.

Thanks,
    Eric

Keep in mind I'm in a little 1 car garage and use the little Penn State dust collection, moving it from tool to tool, but from everything that I have read and heard, the name Oneida keeping coming up when people talk about cyclones. Be sure to check them out.

Aaron

Eric, I can't say much about the PSI unit, though I might look at the Oneida like Aaron suggests. I *can* speak of the Woodsucker, though. Like yourself, I had considering (very briefly ) building one, but me and sheet-metal work just don't get along real well. The time element was another consideration, as well. So, I grabbed the Woodsucker. In my installation, it's not in the same room as the shop, so noise is absolutely NOT an issue, though from what I understand, the unit is a tad louder than some of the others. I ducted mine through 6" metal ducts and wyes primarily from Kencraft Co., along with their metal blast gates. Used the HVAC aluminum tape on each and every seam. Finished it off with about a 15' run of 8" insulated duct from the air output on the unit back into the shop. In a word, performance in my environment is "great"! My longest run is, at least, 60' terminating through a 6">4" reducer, then about 8' of flex to a drum sander. Works just fine! I'm sure there are bigger and better, but I believe the costerformance ratio in my installation is just about right. Feel free to email or PM me if you have other questions regarding the Woodsucker. (The usual non-affiliation disclaimers apply....Bla, bla, bla.....)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

WOOD Magazine has a review article on cyclone systems in the December 2003 issue which you might find useful. It is only a resource, however...the decision needs to come down to your needs and how comfortable you are with each vendor, their specs and so forth.

I just ordered the Oneida 2hp Commercial unit this morning as an upgrade from a smaller Oneida system I've been using for four years. They have been good to me. I was impressed with the Woodsucker when I saw Jerry Todd's over the holidays, although it was noticably louder than the unit I've been using. I don't particularly like the Tempest's construction...it feels a lot less well made than other machines I've touched, but that's not scientific and purely subjective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, did Oneida tell you shipping would be almost a month? I ordered mounting brackets for my existing Oneida C650 cyclone and that's what they told me. I may just fabricate them myself and cancel the order. Sounds like they are a little overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Jim, did Oneida tell you shipping would be almost a month? I ordered mounting brackets for my existing Oneida C650 cyclone and that's what they told me. I may just fabricate them myself and cancel the order. Sounds like they are a little overwhelmed.
    They knew the order was coming a couple of weeks ago...and I'm picking mine up on the 6th. I figure a nice drive to sunny Syracuse NY in early February should be "fun"...

They really are busy, however. Which I'm happy for them since revenue helps keep companies strong. Larry at Woodsucker is also burning the candle and has for some time now. Cyclone systems have really become much more popular even for the hobbiest and sales at the various firms that provide them are soaring.
    --

That's what the guy I talked to was telling me. I am kicking myself for not ordering the brackets weeks ago when I first thought about it!

Sounds like jIm might have an older one coming up for sale????????

I built mine, it had its moments, given everything I am pleased with the end results, but I might not build a second time. I might lean towards the Onieda, although the ratings didn't look that bad for the Penn State and the main concerns lloks to be addressed with the new 5 year warranty. I had reservations on the motor and its life. I still think the Onieda is much better unit IMHO.

I hear the Woodsucker is built like a tank and as about as loud as one.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    They knew the order was coming a couple of weeks ago...and I'm picking mine up on the 6th. I figure a nice drive to sunny Syracuse NY in early February should be "fun"...

They really are busy, however. Which I'm happy for them since revenue helps keep companies strong. Larry at Woodsucker is also burning the candle and has for some time now. Cyclone systems have really become much more popular even for the hobbiest and sales at the various firms that provide them are soaring.
    Oh yeaaaaaah.....The saw YOU commin', awright! Seriously, Jim is right about most venerable cyclone outfitters having some lead time on their units. My WS was, if I recall, about three weeks out when I ordered it. But, it's a pretty H-D unit. Well designed and put together. I even experienced some lag time with Kencraft Co. on some of the fittings, as I'm sure they're pretty busy trying to keep up with the above cyclones! In the end, it's worth it! Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt

I hear the Woodsucker is built like a tank and as about as loud as one.
    Now just wait one, dern minuette there, Scott! Yes, it IS built like a brick Schmidthouse, but it's not THAT loud! Yeah, I'm lucky in the fact that it's not right in my shop, but it is on the opposite side of one of the wall shops and I do have the return coming back into the shop. I'd venture to say that *any* one of them, sitting right inside a smaller shop would be loud, though not the annoying kind of loud as a gazillion hp shop vac. Having had a regular 2hp DC in a small shop, trust me when I say, "I *know* what "loud" is!" If it's to be inside the shop, regardless of flavor, I would very seriously consider building a housing around it with sound deadening material, as well as buying or building some muffler like you or Terry have for it. I've said it before, there are times when I just about forget mine is "on"! (The electric utility loves me for it!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Sounds like jIm might have an older one coming up for sale????????
    Nope...was "sold" a year ago to Fred Voorhees, that fine looking fellow in the picture of the MM-16 BS coming home a couple of weeks ago. He's also going to be brave and take the road trip to the great white north with me on the 6th, too...and I'm thankful for it.
    --

Loud is as Loud Does

Mine is about 82-84db and I am sure the WS is louder than that (frum whatz I heres anywayz -- personally never gotten close to onez). But they all do have a different type of loud to them. Not that whinning wish you could kick the crap out of it sound the Ridgid and other shop vacs make, but more of a nice rumble and the noise of extractions smacking the inside of the cone during the vortex dance.

Besides, who needs hearing anyway, my wife says I don't listen too her as it is.... least this way I'd have an excuse. What? Can't here you the cyclones on.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Porter
    I have searched, and read, and read, and read about the different options that are available for dust collection. I am confident that the way to go is most definitely a cyclone system. However, I need some help deciding on the model.

My first thought was to build one, simply for the fun of it. However I found that there are several companies offering complete units for less than I think I could build one for, and I guarantee I would have a working DC quicker that way. So, the main two models that I am considering now are the ever-loved Woodsucker, and the PSI 14” Tempest model with cartridge filter. The features and price are very similar, so I just need input on good or bad points about the units, suggestions on the specifics that I should consider before purchasing, and finally suggestions about other possibly better machines.

Has anyone purchased one of these units at a show for a discounted price? I will be attending the Woodworking Show in Atlanta at the end of this month.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric,
    Another vote for the Woodsucker here. It may not be the prettiest but it performs great! The price is very reasonable in comparison to Oneida, Blue Tornado, etc...