Thread: GrrRipper Accident

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GrrRipper Accident

Since so many of you are getting GrrRippers here, I just want to share an accident I had yesterday with it. Hopefully you can learn from my not paying attention. I had just ripped a scrap of Baltic Birch plywood to 1 3/4" wide. I needed a 1 3/4" square piece for a fixture I was making. I flipped it around to make the second cut and pushed it up against the fence with the gripper. The piece was just long enough to fit under the gripper with the apron, or whatever the yellow thing on the side is called, moved down to contact the table. The previous cut I made used this apron to stabilize the GrrRipper.
    As I moved it through the blade, after the wood was cut, the apron must have moved the cutoff piece ever so slightly towards the blade and a typical kickback occurred. The cutoff piece initiated it, started pushing the grrRipper up ( with me still exerting downforce on it of course), and the piece to the right of the blade after the GrrRipper was
    forced up starting it's kickback. The blade at this point contacted the GrrRipper and knocked it backwards, but remained in my hand. The little cutoff hit the wall along with the shavings the blade took out of the GrrRipper. I couldn't believe the plastic shavings were at the wall also!

The prevention should have been, not to have had the apron down for this cut. A splitter would not have prevented this one from happening as the wood would not have reached it before the kickback started. It didn't hurt me or the blade, but my GrrRipper got a souvenir gash in it.

Check out the neat splitter that MicroJig has almost for sale. hhttp://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htmas

Here are some pictures that show what occurred.

"GrrRipper2" simulates what I was trying to do and the apron that should have been up.
    "GrrRipper5" shows how close my hand was to the kickback.
    "GrrRipper8" shows my GrrRipper damage.
    "GrrRipper10" shows what should have been the proper position for that board.
    "TenonJig" shows the completed fixture with the little part installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images