Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GrrRipper Accident

Quote Originally Posted by amheck
    Glad to hear you're ok after the accident.

Sorta OT, but that's a cool tenoning jig. Did you build that from scratch, or did you find the plans somewhere?

Thanks, Aaron
    Aaron, I am not smart enough to come up with the idea, just the need for it. It is from Shop Notes #6. The Woodsmith site has a hardware kit available for $16.95.
    http://store.yahoo.com/woodsmithstore/tenjigharkit.html

I haven't used it on a project yet, but I made a test cut and it works real well. Very stable.

Mike,

Glad you're ok. As everyone mentioned, it sure heightens your awareness again.

On a slightly different note, that's a nice looking tenoning jig. Did you make it? Did the plans come from a magazine or did you come up with on your own?

Jeff Skory

Scratch that last question. I hadn't moved to page two of the posts yet.

me too

I'm with you on this one, although maybe I'd feel differently if I saw the presentation or video.

When I first saw one in a store I was naturally intrigued. However, it gave me a bad feeling when I realized that it was designed to put my hand right over blade of a tablesaw. That just seems like something I never want to do.

If you cut small parts on a table saw, try this!

http://www.woodworking.org/Exchange/...ML/009658.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Heck
    Glad to hear you're ok after the accident.

Sorta OT, but that's a cool tenoning jig. Did you build that from scratch, or did you find the plans somewhere?

Thanks, Aaron

Aaron, it was featured in ShopNotes #6. It appears to be very stable. Woodsmith sells a hardware kit with all the parts necessary to build it. I bought the kit a couple of years ago and finally dug it out and built it. It is less than a half day project.

http://store.yahoo.com/backissuesstore/sn006.html
    http://store.yahoo.com/woodsmithstore/tenjigharkit.html

Wow Mike, I guess it worked as it should have worked since you still have your fingers but I was alarmed when I read your post. I just ordered the Grrpper for myself a couple of days ago so thanks for the heads up. I will certainly be paying attention to what you said. Thanks again for the timely post.

Wink

Great discussion from everybody on the tool and accident. I'm with Jim Delaney on this one. I've had the same thing happen without the gripper and learned to add a clamped block to the fence when using the miter gauge. Some advocate the bandsaw, but I used my Makita scms for cuts that are less than 12". I have the fence clamping system and can cut pretty small pieces, safely, if they are clamped down. I'm now considering getting a Gripper though.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

9. Question

Hi Mike,

Since I just joined as a new member, it's become obvious to me I am going to need a good shop camera for all here on Saw Mill Creek. I like the closeup shots you did of your accident and am glad it was no worse than it was for you. What camera / model are you using It appears to be of decent quality for the job.

Thanks

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
    Since so many of you are getting GrrRippers here, I just want to share an accident I had yesterday with it. Hopefully you can learn from my not paying attention. I had just ripped a scrap of Baltic Birch plywood to 1 3/4" wide. I needed a 1 3/4" square piece for a fixture I was making. I flipped it around to make the second cut and pushed it up against the fence with the gripper. The piece was just long enough to fit under the gripper with the apron, or whatever the yellow thing on the side is called, moved down to contact the table. The previous cut I made used this apron to stabilize the GrrRipper.
    As I moved it through the blade, after the wood was cut, the apron must have moved the cutoff piece ever so slightly towards the blade and a typical kickback occurred. The cutoff piece initiated it, started pushing the grrRipper up ( with me still exerting downforce on it of course), and the piece to the right of the blade after the GrrRipper was
    forced up starting it's kickback. The blade at this point contacted the GrrRipper and knocked it backwards, but remained in my hand. The little cutoff hit the wall along with the shavings the blade took out of the GrrRipper. I couldn't believe the plastic shavings were at the wall also!

The prevention should have been, not to have had the apron down for this cut. A splitter would not have prevented this one from happening as the wood would not have reached it before the kickback started. It didn't hurt me or the blade, but my GrrRipper got a souvenir gash in it.

Check out the neat splitter that MicroJig has almost for sale. hhttp://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htmas

Here are some pictures that show what occurred.

"GrrRipper2" simulates what I was trying to do and the apron that should have been up.
    "GrrRipper5" shows how close my hand was to the kickback.
    "GrrRipper8" shows my GrrRipper damage.
    "GrrRipper10" shows what should have been the proper position for that board.
    "TenonJig" shows the completed fixture with the little part installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright
    Hi Mike,

Since I just joined as a new member, it's become obvious to me I am going to need a good shop camera for all here on Saw Mill Creek. I like the closeup shots you did of your accident and am glad it was no worse than it was for you. What camera / model are you using It appears to be of decent quality for the job.

Thanks

Boyd
    Boyd, I am using a Sony DCR-TRV730 Digital Handycam. It takes still pictures or movies. It does OK in good light. I would really like to have a good digital camera however, I just haven't been able to justify it to the housefrau yet. Taking 35mm photos and scanning them works too, it just takes longer to develop.

You might want to download this program to help resize your photos to fit on SMC. It is a freeware program and is real easy to use. 500 x 500 or smaller works just fine.

Happy sawdust!

11. Mike,

I think you forgot to add the freeware program or did I miss it.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
    Boyd, I am using a Sony DCR-TRV730 Digital Handycam. It takes still pictures or movies. It does OK in good light. I would really like to have a good digital camera however, I just haven't been able to justify it to the housefrau yet. Taking 35mm photos and scanning them works too, it just takes longer to develop.

You might want to download this program to help resize your photos to fit on SMC. It is a freeware program and is real easy to use. 500 x 500 or smaller works just fine.

Happy sawdust!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright
    Mike,

I think you forgot to add the freeware program or did I miss it.

Boyd
    You didn't miss it. I got interrupted twice. Sorry bout that.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program...bcategoryid=39