Thread: dead lathe

dead lathe

hi all,

my lathe is dead it has been playing up since i got it and now its not doing anything when i press the "on" button. sometimes before it would make a ticking noise and spin a little bit but it would allways turn on it the end but now its not doing anything

thanks in advanced,

*edit*
    this is my lathe
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/DSCF3719.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/DSCF3718.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/DSCF3716.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/DSCF3715.jpg
    Last edited by daniel sherwood; 05-13-2007 at 3:53 AM.

dead lathe

Hey Dan
    sounds to me from reading your post that the switch went south on you...something u might look at.
    you can use a regular light switch as a test switch to see if that is the problem ...just dont use it as a permanent replacement.

just a thought to try
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hampton View Post
    Hey Dan
    sounds to me from reading your post that the switch went south on you...something u might look at.
    you can use a regular light switch as a test switch to see if that is the problem ...just dont use it as a permanent replacement.

just a thought to try
    Bob

thanks will see if it works and get back to you

That design is prone to dust-sucking. Start out by giving it a good blast of air, if available. The motor contains a centrifugal switch like the "points" in an old distributor that can dirty and short, springs that can clog and not snap, and a multitude of other places in the windings might find enough damp dust to ground. For motors that won't on their own, but will run with a spin, go to the capacitor.

If it goes by bypassing the switch, remember to get a motor-rated replacement, as suggested. Bad thing about those safety features is that it's a proprietary switch that will cost a bundle rather than a five dollar toggle. You decide. I mount a moveable switch box on mine. Tail end for faceplate, head end for spindle.

HI

By the looks of the lump on top of the motor it has a capacitor I think this is the problem.

I had a similar lathe and it did the same thing, replaced the capacitor and had no further problems.

john

Im gonna go with the capacitor as well, clean the thing out, and take the cover off that big "lump" to get to the capacitor. On the end of the capacitor that the wires connect to, it MIGHT have a small hole about 1/4" dia, with a paper cover on it.. if the paper is "blown out" the capacitor is bad.. If the paper is still there, it does not mean that the capacitor is good, but you should check it with a meter.
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

I have yet to see a capacitor start motor, when the cap has gone south, where the motor doesnt' "hum" (but not turn). If it's just the cap. try spinning the lathe shaft, then turn the power on...if it moves, it's the cap.

Next up, would be the power switch (cooked more then one of those), then the motor (seldom lose the motor, but it can happen).
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    I have yet to see a capacitor start motor, when the cap has gone south, where the motor doesnt' "hum" (but not turn). If it's just the cap. try spinning the lathe shaft, then turn the power on...if it moves, it's the cap.

Next up, would be the power switch (cooked more then one of those), then the motor (seldom lose the motor, but it can happen).
    it was humming and not spinning but now its just dead.

i took the cover off of the capacitor and had a look at it there isn't a hole with paper over it that i can see.

it was also turning on if i span the shaft but its not doing that any more either.

i dont have a meter either so i can't test it.

oh and does anyone know what model my lathe is i can't seem to find any info about it.

thanks all,