Thread: Stihl leaking oil

Stihl leaking oil

Broke out my new Stihl chainsaw couple weeks ago, filled it with stabilized gas and bar chain oil. Used it very little, returned it to the case. Opened it yesterday and lo and behold, all the chain oil was in the bottom of the case. Do I have to empty the bar chain oil before returning the saw to the case for storage and transport? Bummer. Need advice on this. Max

Assuming you did not have the case upside down with the oil filler cap loose, yes you have a problem. It should not leak chain oil. Take it back

Maybe

Did all of the oil leak out or was there just a lot of it in the case? All my Stihls leave chain oil at the bottom of their cases. Have a 36, 660, 200 and 190T so... My dealer said that it was pretty normal to have some oil at the bottom.
    Unless you have an adjustable oiler, chainsaws go through an enormous amount of chain oil. At the end of the next useage, check and see how much there is left and perhaps then you can determine whether or not there is a problem. Luck, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

The only oil that should accumulate is what is on the chain and a little that naturally hits the saw itself from the chain. Anything over about a tablespoon full is excessive and likely indicates a seal is shot. I ran a Stihl for 30 yrs cutting firewood and never had anymore leakage than noted above. All I ever used for the chain oil was motor oil - 30 wt - the cheapest I could find.

As Al stated, I would definitely take it back unless you think the problem could be due to the way you stored it. I would suggest that you fill the oil reservoir, run the saw a little, refill the reservoir (don't overfill!) and store it in an upright position. Comeback in a couple of days and check; if you see a puddle of oil then you know for sure that there is a problem with the saw and not "user error." Stihl is arguably the finest chainsaw manufacturer around; their saws should not have this problem.

Probably leaking at the bottom of the housing where the two halves are glued together

Harvey,

First thing to try is loosen the oil filler cap when your done to bleed off the pressure and see if it improves. Most of my saws aren't too bad about leaking bar oil, but my 660 Mag is if I don't loosen the cap and bleed the pressure. When the heat of the summer hits and it gets over 100 in my shop, I store my saws with the cap slightly loose so when the heat causes the oil to expand, it doesn't push it out through the oiler. I never top off the oil tanks before storage for this very reason or it will overflow the filler hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Harvey,

First thing to try is loosen the oil filler cap when your done to bleed off the pressure and see if it improves. Most of my saws aren't too bad about leaking bar oil, but my 660 Mag is if I don't loosen the cap and bleed the pressure. When the heat of the summer hits and it gets over 100 in my shop, I store my saws with the cap slightly loose so when the heat causes the oil to expand, it doesn't push it out through the oiler. I never top off the oil tanks before storage for this very reason or it will overflow the filler hole.
    Doesn't air expand worse than oil? Of course, heat will diminish the viscosity of the oil and make it more likely to flow under modest pressure, which should be no problem if the saw is stored upright, where it can vent air pressure through the oiler hole.

If the saw was on its side, which is to say filler cap up, I'd say you're looking at gravity. If stored bottom down, the cap's the place. Should be obvious with a rag and later look where it's coming from. No problem with taking back anything that doesn't perform properly. Not at all.

Harvey,
    My 036 Pro leaks too,,,talked with some other Stihl owners and
    they said theirs did the same so i never thought i had a problem(and my old Husky leaked before this one too), i have my auto setting to lube pretty heavy which may(?) add to the problem. Anyway, maybe it isn't as designed at but mine lubes the chain very nicely still, just top it off before use and not afterwards and it's not been enough of a concern to take mine back.

Smile

If one wanted to start trouble, call OSA they would come down on stihl like a ton of bricks for messin with the enviroment. They might be harder on stihl than a leaking oil tanker. Just kidding don't do that.