Thread: Fixing booboo's

Angry Fixing booboo's

Is there a way to fix bowing through a hollow form about halfway in a vase?

I started my first hollowform and kept giong when I knew I should have stopped. The form of the piece was too nice to just throuw it away and I would really like to salvage it if possible.

My thought- Can I glue a piece of wood inside the piece connecting each half with about 1/4" glue joint to each one. Then scrape the halves straight and even. Then make a cove in the new piece and fill the cove with colored epoxy as a color band? Has anyone been successful in saving something like this?

I would show pics, but camera in not working right now. So no new lathe pics and the three projects I turned this weekend either. SORRY!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post
    Is there a way to fix bowing through a hollow form about halfway in a vase?

I started my first hollowform and kept giong when I knew I should have stopped. The form of the piece was too nice to just throuw it away and I would really like to salvage it if possible.

My thought- Can I glue a piece of wood inside the piece connecting each half with about 1/4" glue joint to each one. Then scrape the halves straight and even. Then make a cove in the new piece and fill the cove with colored epoxy as a color band? Has anyone been successful in saving something like this?

I would show pics, but camera in not working right now. So no new lathe pics and the three projects I turned this weekend either. SORRY!!
    My method is to burn it. You should not be able to see the hole after that. Seriously how much time do you want to put into trying to fix something that will probably not look very good when you are done. Consider it a learning experience and put better use of your time turning another one.
    Mike Vickery

Sorry, Tyler...but I have to agree with Mike. You may be able to salvage the lower end for a bowl, however...I've done that a number of times...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tyler
    Learning to make a flaw/mistake a feature is one of the marks of a true craftsmen/artist. If only I could do it better.....

However, that can work, first you would need to turn each of the "old" sections perfectly flat. For the half that is mounted on the chuck/face-plate this would be easy. Use the same method used for flattening a "base" ring for segmented turning.
    Then you would have to figure out how to do the same thing with the upper half, that would depend on the fixtures, jigs and toys you have in the shop.
    Personally I would make the joining section a true segmented ring, with contrasting woods.

Learning to do something like this, might be more time consuming then tossing the wood. But if you are not a production turner, learning how to do new and interesting "stuff" is usually more important then the volume of stuff you produce.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.