Thread: Send me to Edge Sander school

Rob Will Guest

Send me to Edge Sander school

I'm thinking I need an oscillating edge sander in my shop.

What Brands / Features / Belt Size should I be looking for?

I have 3 phase power and the rest of the tools in the shop are.......
    errrr......a little on the heavy side .

So if you have the power and space, what would you look for?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Rob

Well I can tell you from past experience that your edge sander should have these features:

1) The belt should be easily changed. I've used two, one with a big spring loaded lever that instantly released tension, was easily adjusted, and one that you had to remove bolts off the cover, loosen myriads of bolts, and keep tweaking just to get it tracking again.

2) There should be a square stop on the table/rest, and the table should be square and flat. The nice one I mention above had a cast iron table, which could be locked down or run with the oscillating feature. The other one is a non-oscillating type, and the composite table is warped, and it takes a lot of work to get it adjusted halfway square to the belt.

3) It should have a table/rest on one end so you can use the wheel to sand curved things. The wheel on the end should also be smooth with no grooves to make it "bump" while sanding either.

Unfortunately the one edge sander I liked was left behind when I moved to this job. The edge sander I use resides where I work, and it's the one machine in this shop that I dislike.

Probably LASM Volpato. I have an LBK160S:

which has

1. Straight edge for long sanding, with tilting table. Has mitre stop

2. Straight edge with point sanding fence for handling veneered edges, again with tilting table.

3. Profile sanding head which will run formable abrasive heads

4. Round end with auxillairy table for interior curve sanding

5. Bobbin unit with auxilliary table for bobbin sanding

6. Power feeder (Universal 5-wheel) for volume work

7. The machine is on castors for semi-portability

8. Decent dust extraction built into the nmachine with multiple collection points - the later models habve the option of an extraction motor mounted on the frame

The model which replaced mine is the LBK150 3P - worth looking for second-hand as they are robust machines from a firm which only builds sanding machinery

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Pritchard; 05-14-2007 at 6:34 PM.

Hi Rob,
    I have the Griz 1140 edge sander and it works well. I use it much more than I imagined when I bought it. That has helped with the initial buyers remorse. I have found that the table is a bit small and the platen is frequently too short as well. After a few months of use I was thinking the 0512 with the wrap around table would have been a better choice. My daughter goes to Western Wa. U. in Bellingham and on a drop off visit I visited the showroom and went a bit nuts and bought the 1071 spindle sander. What a great machine/value. Now the wisdom is beginning to sink in!! I would recommend the 0564 oscillating edge sander with the(some) spindle accessories included to handle both functions in one footprint. Close to the same $$$ exposure for both machines. The important features I would want are the table and platen size. I imagine other brands are great as well but I like Griz because I can make comparables in person and I think they make good machines for my level of WWing. I would make you a good deal on my two machines so I can upgrade!!! Good luck, John.

Hi again Rob,
    I reread the catalogue description of the Griz 5063 and 5064, and the spindle component doesn't oscillate. Ooops!! I think you would the spindle to move.

Find an Ekstrom Carlson 112 (8"x166")...

(The above is a machine Tim Shetler restored...)
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post

(The above is a machine Tim Shetler restored...)
    DROOL.....

Wow...now that's a beautiful hunk of sander!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would go with the Ekstrom Carlson as listed above or a Oakley H5 both are great sanders. Also Wysong and Miles made some heavey edge sanders and are great pieces of machinery.

Rob Will Guest
    Find an Ekstrom Carlson 112 8"x166")...
    Hey Bill, does that work of art have any provision for DC?
    Does it have an oscillating belt?
    Definitely an impressive machine.

Rob
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-17-2007 at 9:08 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Nice enough if you have the shop space to allow machine to just sit there. My Volpato is on castors and can be moved around. It replaced a White oscillating belt edge sander (wimilar size and appearance to the E-K) and the addition of veneer point face, bobbin head and profile sander means it is much more versatlie - one of the reasons that industry has gone over to the Italian machines.

Phil