Thread: Putting chainsaw gas in your truck?

Putting chainsaw gas in your truck?

I was told that since I have a bout 3/4 gallon of chainsaw gas left in a can and its about 4 months old that A) I should only keep chainsaw gas (unleaded an oil) for 6 months or less. B) Its okay to put such a little amount in your vehicle.
    Something like 2 ounces of oil.It was said something like this for example
    " 15 gallons of gas an 2 ounces of oil such a small amount"
    " marvels mystery oil, you can put that right in your tank and its a quart"

I just want some more reassurance is all.
    Its a 06 cherokee. 5.7 hemi

I've been doing that for more years than I can remember. Never had a problem with any vehicle I have put the gas into.

I do always try to put the old gas into a nearly full tank to insure the most dilution.

Won't harm a thing. In another few years, your truck will probably be burning that much oil anyway.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I'd worry about the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensors.

Additional oil in the fuel isn't likely to be good for those things.

I used to put a quart of motor oil in my tank when I filled up. But that was in a 1968 mustang and it seemed not to mind a bit and I was convinced that it helped the engine run cooler and regulate the burn of gas better than octane. .

It will be OK, the amount is so small in comparison to the size of the gas tank the engine will never notice. I would do it just after you fill up though.

Cheers

Ian

I run my old boat gas (2 stroke pre-mix) in my lawn tractor. I haven't bought gas specifically for the tractor for a few years now.
    Doyle

Thanks sounds like its safe, maybe even a little lubrication too.Im sure it wont be in my owners manual though.
    Heck with the price of gas out here 3.40 for 87 and little bit helps.

On another topic India has come out with a car that runs off of compressed air.I think 68mph max and 130 miles max. For 12k! $3 fill ups, im all for that. You can also plug in to your electric and theres a built in air compressor.
    They said it will never make states because its all glued together? GLUED
    I think its in this months popular science or mechanics.

Most 2 cycle oil now includes a gasoline stabilizer so I think you'd be safe to just run it in your saw. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem with gas/oil mixture. I run the same stuff in my saw, my weedeater, and leaf blower. I mix 2 gallons at a time and it usually takes at least 6 months to use it.

That said, it won't hurt your car either.

craig--

call me a little paranoid, but...

personally, i wouldn't do it.

please don't take my comments to be harsh. they are not meant to be mean-spirited. but, i'm lost on the logic of worrying about wasting/saving 3 quarts of fuel valued at about three bucks. and, in an effort to save this fuel you want to burn it in a $40k vehicle that, i am assuming, is still under a manufacturer's warranty. in contrast, you don't want to burn this same fuel in a $400 chain saw.

i have no techincal expertise that says that this 2-cycle oil would harm your vehicle. but, i would not be willing to risk damage to fuel pumps, fuel injectors, oxygen sensors, catalytic converters, or any other fuel management/pollution control 'gizmo'. if you have a manufacturer's power train warranty, it is unlikely that these items are covered by this type of damage. if any one of these items gets damaged, you will be making a monthly boat payment for your local chrysler service tech.

why not just run the stuff in your lawn mower, if you have no other way to get rid of it?
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

Jeffery, the biggest difference is carburetion vs. fuel-injection. Old gas and carburetors don't mix well at all, hence the reason NOT to burn it in a chainsaw or lawnmower. The tiny carburetors on these implements (and their tiny needles) only compound the problem. In contrast, electric in-tank fuel pumps send the "bad" 2-cycle gas (heavily diluted by whatever gas is in the vehicle's tank) at about 35-50 PSI to electro-mechanical fuel injectors that don't readily stick or clog. Combustion will take care of the rest. If for some reason, it doesn't, the oxygen sensors will instantaneously adjust the fuel/air mixture to get a better burn. The amount of oil is miniscule to begin with, never mind that 2-cycle oil is made to be burned in the first place. Emissions systems have to be pretty stout these days so that they not only meet emissions standards when they are new, but also after 10 years of hard driving and thousands of gallons of questionable-quality gas (that is still better than the gas of even 20 years ago).

Now, compare that with fuel injector cleaner--it's basically a quart of kerosene with a few detergents. That kerosene probably adds more, longer hydrocarbons than the tiny amount of 2-cycle oil in 3 quarts of mix would.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I do this all the time and have not had a problem. I've got a 33 gallon tank on my Suburban, so 2 quarts of 40:1 mix leaves a full tank with about .04% of 2 stroke oil in it. Oh, and this 2 stroke oil is designed to lubricate.

Of course, YMMV,

Jack

That much won't hurt anything, especially if you add it to a full tank of fuel. I put stabilizer in my cans that hold fuel for my generator, lawn mower & 2 cycle equipment. It's good then for at least a year. In fact, IIRC, the bottle says 2 years.