Thread: Oxford HybriVar WB-Alkyd Varnish-Gloss ???

Oxford HybriVar WB-Alkyd Varnish-Gloss ???

thinking about buying some of this. has anyone used this on tabletops or other furniture. I'm doing a large table top right now with Rockhard and the bubble problem is starting to drive me crazy. I have a turbinair system so in the future i'd rather put that to use if I can.
    Let the wood speak!

2. Chuck,

I tried some a few years ago ( maybe 4 years) and it was very easy to work with and rubbed out well, but its scratch resistance was no where near that of the Rock Hard. Water based coatings have come a long way in a short time, so it may have been improved.
    I have some General Finishes water based poly on order , whick I want to try as a replacement for the Rock Hard. The appeal of the water based stuff is very strong, but in the end I’ll probably stay with the Rock Hard. Rock Hard is a pain, but I’ve learned to work with it, and it is very durable.

I have heard very good things about Ultima Spray Lacquer ( at least I think that is what it is called) and since you have spray equipment you might give it a try. Some one I talked to used it for chairs in a Court Room, and he said it had held up very well.
    Rob Millard

Rob, the product that Chuck is asking about is brand new, although based on a previous Emtech product.

Chuck, I have a gallon in the shop that is going on my cherry vanities when they get to the finishing stages. I had a chance to look at it on samples that Jeff Weiss showed me at the recent Mid-Atlantic Expo and was very impressed. I'll certainly let folks know how I like it at that point. I may use it to refinish our kitchen table, too...the Minwax poly on that (the only piece of furniture in the house with poly on it...) has not held up at all, whereas the USL on the kitchen cabinets looks nearly new.

I can't comment on the Rock-Hard product as I've never used it and don't generally by oil-based products at this point outside of some Minwax Antique Oil Finish and Waterlox for use on turnings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Rob, the product that Chuck is asking about is brand new, although based on a previous Emtech product.
    Jim,

I saw that Oxford name and the word varnish, but didn't pay enough attention to the rest. I was wrong about the type of varnish, but at least I was right when I said that water based coatings have come a long way (how's that for putting a positive spin on a mistake).

Rob Millard
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-16-2007 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Yes, water borne is really moving along, especially given the increasing restrictions on VOC across the industry, not just in select areas anymore. All of the manufacturers are under pressure to survive and that means bringing innovation to the materials they produce. One of the upsides for non-pros like me who do not have nor intend to build a formal spray booth is the fact that there are some great options available when it comes to spray finishes that are safe to use. And the better the stuff gets, the easier it's going to be for the pros to make the move from their "old stand-bys" to new finishes that meet both regulations as well as expectations.

But I still like shellac, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...