Thread: Home Depot and Curly Maple

Question Home Depot and Curly Maple

Hi:

I saw a recent picture on this site that showed a project made with curly maple that was from Home Depot. Does Home Depot have alot of curly maple mixed in with the regular maple lumber that they sell? Is it just narrow boards? & What is the price of the maple at Home Depot?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob weis
    Hi:

I saw a recent picture on this site that showed a project made with curly maple that was from Home Depot. Does Home Depot have alot of curly maple mixed in with the regular maple lumber that they sell? Is it just narrow boards? & What is the price of the maple at Home Depot?

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob, its really an accident that shows up time to time. You have to look through all their stock and sometimes you don't find any at all. As for price, its expensive. I can buy curly maple from my hardwood supplier for just a little more than HD charges for regular maple. Of course its not S4S, but its a lot cheaper.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Bob weis
    Hi:

Thanks,

Bob
    Hi Bob,

You might want to check HD's oak also. I've found some nice curly red oak there also.

Joe

The HD's in my neck of the woods only carry Red Oak and Poplar. I often visit 2 in our area, and I always root through the Lumber Rack, and I have never found anything out of the ordinary. But, I hold out hope, and I check everytime I am there. Maybe one day I will score something nice, but I agree with the others, less expensive sources for this type of lumber are out there........but ya can't beat the convenience!

Just to confirm

what the others said. My HD stocks maple, red oak, poplar & pine. I always check the lumber racks for buried treasure & have been successful on several occasions. It's just a happy accident but sometimes you will find very nice wood as the the table you referenced shows. I have only found the curly maple in 1X2 & 1X3 size for some reason. The price is not cheap, they sell by the linear ft. & maple works out to about $6.50 - $7 around here. While very high for regular maple it is pretty decent for curly maple with nice figure & as Kevin pointed out it is convenient. Yesterday I found 1 1X6 curly red oak board, a first, but it had a pretty a bad defect on the back right where the best figure was, so I passed. I've also found birds eye pine & once found a larger maple board that had both birds eye & evidence of spalting. I passed on this also because the two characteristics didn't look good together IMO.

I'm still looking for an instrument grade quilted maple board at the Borg
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Tom,

I think you're right, I shoud have kept my mouth shut about HD Where I am, the 1X6 maple is 2.57/lf, not too bad when you can find 4/4 curly s4s. I've actually had very good luck in the 1X6 range. Dave.

The Home Depot stores in my area (southern Indiana) only carry poplar, oak and pine. Its about twice the price as my hardwood dealer so I never look at any of it. Maybe I will start checking it out though.

Dave

Sorry for the confusion - I meant it works out to $6.50 -$7 a BF.

See what you started by posting your gorgeous table - now I have to check HD more often in case any of the local creekers read this

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery
    Tom,

I think you're right, I shoud have kept my mouth shut about HD Where I am, the 1X6 maple is 2.57/lf, not too bad when you can find 4/4 curly s4s. I've actually had very good luck in the 1X6 range. Dave.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

On occasion I have found curly maple boards at teh big box. I have severa pieces in the 1x6 size. The curl is what I would consider medium, not highly curly.
    Jim

Bob, I have found HD to be a real treasure when it comes to their maple. From time to time they have some really, in my opinion, highly figured wood. My family always knows, when we go to HD we have to stop by the maple and start digging! Some times the hunt is more fun than the find... sometimes. Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Home Depot's that are supplied by the "Houston Distribution Center" do not carry maple. We get poplar, red oak, western cedar, lousy fir, clear (albeit flat sawn) pine and bottom of the barrel #2 pine.

I was in Georgia a few years ago on business and my buddies humored me and let me stop the car to kill some time at Home Depot (Columbus). I found 2 gorgeous flame birch 1X6's, 1 was 4' long and other was 10' long. I bought both, had them cut the 10'er in two, wrap them in cardboard, and I carried them back on the plane. People were looking at me like I was nutso...

I 've also bought several dozen linear feet of curly red oak and QS red oak too.

Blog Entries

Curly Maple

While I have seen some curly Maple at HD from time to time, I don't buy it there due to high cost. My local supplier sells his s4s Maple 1 X 6 for $1.59 per foot. He will let you sort through his stock and pick out the curly maple if that is what you want. Since most of his trade is from Contractors doing houses, they tend to stay away from the curly boards, so there is usually plenty there for me when I want it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Curly Maple at HD

I have a beutiful peice of curly maple from a HD in VA. It is truly striking figure! I was rooting through the bin for fun like I do each time I go there and this board shocked me. It is 8ft long 1x6. It had no price on it so I asked an employee and he said it was the same price as the rest of the maple. I checked for cupping and twist and it had no discernable problems, so I snagged it. I was walking throught the place getting the paint SWMBO wanted when other customers came up to me asking me where I got the board. I have never found another peice since then. Right time right place. I now buy my wood at Northland Forestry Products or Vienna Hardwoods.